Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Aubergine is probably about six months old now and I would say we generally have a good relationship. He is on his own but I make sure I spend a lot of time with him - he used to come to work with me which at the moment I cannot do, so I am aware that he is spending a fair bit of the day alone at the moment, but he always gets some cuddles in the morning (including little rat kisses and nibbles on my hand) and in the evening he is allowed out his cage and hangs out in the flat with me.

I have never seen any aggressive or unfriendly tendencies.. Lately however he has been getting very humpy and bitey when we play, and in the last weeks even unprovoked he wants to hump my hand or arm. This often escalates very quickly, resulting in some quite bad bites and scratches. After reading up a few options on here I have been trying to assert dominance to some success - scolding him but also being physically assertive (within reason of course) and pushing him away or onto his back, as is often described as an approach, which usually ends in more bites. I really feel he knows that he is not supposed to - but it seems that he cannot help himself.

When he gets like his his fur gets very puffed up and he often breathes hard and quickly out of his nose. When in this mood he has also started rubbing his rear flank against myself as well as the couch or carpet if we are on the floor. As I said, he is otherwise very freindly and (I hope!) likes me but we're kind of at an impass now as my hands are torn to ribbons and I don't want to have to fight back all the time - he even usually seems to come to say sorry after - and it doesn't seem to be going away.

My conclusion would be that I probably need to get him neutered but I could really do with some advice first incase there is something that I am infact missing or doing wrong here. I've kept many pets before, incuding two sibling rats for sometime many years ago, but never a male rat in this kind of arrangement and closeness.
Apologies for the long rambly message!... Thanks :)

·
Registered
941 Posts
scolding him but also being physically assertive (within reason of course) and pushing him away or onto his back, as is often described as an approach, which usually ends in more bites. I really feel he knows that he is not supposed to - but it seems that he cannot help himself.
Please don't use this method, your rat is only doing what is natural and your only making him more agitated, I agree with the above to get him neutered and see if that helps.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Try getting him neutered as suggested previously. This isn't a 100% guarantee that his HA will fully go away.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Please don't use this method, your rat is only doing what is natural and your only making him more agitated, I agree with the above to get him neutered and see if that helps.
Thank you, just what I needed to hear, this is very helpful and exactly why I thought I should write instead of just digging though older posts.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you everyone. I really appreciate the quick replies and thoughtful support! Will update this post once we've been to see the vet... poor Aubergine! I've no doubt he'll be happier for it though, I feel like he's been suffering with this too!..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts