Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned 5 rats, now just three and have never witnessed this behavior. My best friend is on vacation so I'm watching her two little girls. It appears she's not cleaned her cage well so I cleaned it completely for her. I dried it off all I could but there was still a little water on the platforms. It's a nice manor cage from petco, all the platforms are tiny wired with a metal bottom.

The rats have clean skin, hair and nails from what I can tell though I do notice that Lexi keeps scratching. Though both are extremely active, eating and drinking just fine and are playful. I've noticed that Lexi has been "slapping" her paws on the platforms almost like she is digging? or trying to dig? and then sometimes will roll on her side. My mom said it looks like she's trying to "bathe" in the water left behind.

I didn't notice her doing this anytime before I cleaned her cage.. I ratsit this same pair last year with no issues.

I was just curious if any of you have seen this behavior. I tried to catch it on film but when she notices the camera, she stops and stares at me like

·
Registered
227 Posts
Does not sound too bad,,could be the clean cage smell,,,may rats would dig into the litter box push litter aside and the do their business,,,if the platform are wire mesh under foot that is a problem,,it hurt their feet. My late rat would often sleep on his back,,feet into the air,,first time he did I thought he was dead,,,,my vet said it was a way of cooling himself,,,,they can shed heat from their feet. So, laying in water my help them cool.And the clean cage smell may through them off, they cannot find an old scent mark in the litter box....What I have done after cleaning is put a tiny bit of old litter shaving back in tray,,,that gives a familiar scent to go to. Hope this helps

1 - 2 of 2 Posts