Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a world of problems with my fleece :/ Iposted another topic with the problems bbutnothing works. So originally I bought some anti pill fleece or polar not sure but it didnt work Iwashed it 6+ times and tried all the suggestions like baking soda vinegar and the detergents and always with out dryer sheets and stuff. WellI went and bought some more fleece but this time it was microfleece because I have heard good things and its used for cloth diapers. And It worked! Until we washed it then nothing at all so I decided it must be the detergent so we bought a different one that the fabric store lady suggested and it didn'tfix anything so we decided to buy new fleece and just try it with the new detergent to see if anything happened. And this detergent didn't make it as bad but it was still noticablly less wicking or what not. We also left a working peice unwashed to compare and t was working so left it overnight and Iwent to test the unwashed peice and it DIDNT WORK when it did the night before! And no one touched it and so I washed the other peice again to see if washing it twice would help but nope just worse. I don't know why nothing is working and how it got worse overnight. I just dont know what to do:sob::sob:

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Perhaps you're expectations for the fleece are a little misguided? I don't mean that in any offensive way at all, so please don't take it that way. Urine isn't going to instantly absorb into fleece no matter what kind you get or what you do to it. I personally use the $3 fleece blankets from big lots and don't have any problem with them. The urine will sit on top for a minute or so, but then it soaks in. If you think that it's just really not what you want for your rats, you can consider aspen or paper bedding. I personally use aspen for all the base levels of my cages and then use fleece on the shelves, hammocks, etc. Are you using litter boxes at all? I find that if I put a litter box with pee rocks on the shelves that have fleece they're more likely to pee on the rocks than the fleece. I also put a much larger rock in one corner that also gets peed on quite a bit. I have 10 rats and really don't have much of a problem with odors in the room or on my rats; it's just a matter of finding what works for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No offence taken at all :) i know it shouldn't go right way but i mean not at all i have waited 10- 20 minutes with no results:mad:

·
Registered
908 Posts
I'm not sure if it matters, but did you try putting the reverse side up? Just curious. Like the previous poster, I only use fleece for hammocks and shelves. I use aspen with a layer of pine pellets (small amount) under the aspen for the main floor levels of my cages. I had a DCN and tried the regular pans with fleece and uhaul moving pads underneath and it just didn't work for me. The rats chewed it and the smell was noticable only 2-3 days after cleaning the cage (and that's with 3 rats lol). I decided to spend the extra $$ and buy deep pans for my DCN from bass just so I could go back to aspen. Now it won't be smelly for at least a week at a time so both me and the rats are happier. I use litter boxes with pee rocks (even with the aspen) like the previous poster as well and this helps some... Mainly with pooing in the box, but it does not help much with the pee smell as they still pee elsewhere.

What are you using below the fleece? I recommend UHaul moving blankets.. They are cheap, washable, and can be purchased at a local U-Haul place or online. I used them under fleece for a couple years when I had guinea pigs and they worked great. Unlike towels that tend to stay wet under the fleece, these tend to dry faster, so absorb more and smell less.

If you don't think that fleece is for you... It's OK :) There are many people out there that fleece didn't work for. I prefer shredded aspen. You do have to change it and it can be messy (when they scatter it out of the cage), but it really absorbs fluids well and helps with the smell. You can also spot-clean it (i.e. if one corner gets gross remove that aspen and put fresh down). I buy the big bags of native earth aspen from petfooddirect when they do free shipping sales and a bag lasts me a long time (they're like $10 a bag usually). If you want to try the pine pellets underneath (I put maybe 3 handfuls down first in my DCN Bass pans, then put about 1.5" of apsen on top), you can get them at tractor supply, they are called pelleted horse bedding or some such and are $5 a bag... and a bag lasts a long time.

If you are dead set on the fleece, try the U-Haul pads and using litter boxes with pee rocks. I'd just plan on changing it out way more often then you think you need to (like I said, I was changing out a DCN every 4 days with only 3 rats).

Good luck! I know it's frustrating when you spend money to fix a problem and it doesn't work.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Generally, polar and anti-pill fleece is slower for liquid to soak through, or can even be a moisture barrier. Micro fleece is quicker, but may need a small amount of pressure. Having an absorbent pad or fabric beneath will help, as the pressure will allow the urine to wick through and be drawn into the absorbent layer.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts