Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My newest and youngest girl, Juniper, will have occasional full body vibrations. She's four weeks and hasn't had her first heat yet, so i know it's not that. It worries me a little. None of my previous girls have done this, this young. I've also misplaced my tetracycline and can't start her on it till the shop opens in the morning (she's got a myco flair up and I'm trying to catch it before it goes full blown uri) and I'm wondering if maybe the flair up is related.

·
Registered
503 Posts
I hate to hijack your post, Hey-Fay, but I have a really similar problem with my boy (I came to make a post too, but this kind of goes along with this?), Moose, although he's closer to 5 months now. He only ever shakes when I hold him, but he's not sick in any other way from what I can tell. I've never held a rat that shook from being held before. It's really weird.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
My boys do this when they are particularly excited, nervous or when they are trying not to potty on me. Next time your rat does this put them down where they have access to a bathroom and see if they immediately run to it and pee. I do not think the quivers are a sign of something wrong by themselves, just a reflection of an extreme emotion or a pee spasm.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pandora, i don't mind at all!

Paws, i don't have to hold her for her to do it, i think it may be nervousness. We've already established communications on potty breaks, she's so smart x)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Weird, I just got a new young girl a week and a half ago...and named her Juniper.

She did the full body quiver thing the first couple days here, but she was pretty terrified. She also was actively doing the URI thing, so I'm afraid I can't even make a guess as to sorting out that question. She's not doing it now, but she's been on Doxy, and is also waaaay more comfortable with me and with being handled.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I was told by my vet it's a way to raise body temperature...not sure if true. He said it was more common in young ratties (not as good at regulating body temp.) I had a boy who did this :3

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Weird, I just got a new young girl a week and a half ago...and named her Juniper
As soon as i had her in my arms I said "hey June" it was one of those I instantly knew her name things.She's really not that skittish. She doesn't mind being petted or sitting with you to watch tv. Not too keen on being picked up but is warming up to it. I think it might be both nervousness and temp control. Other ideas are welcome, I want to be sure my baby is alright, and if not what can i do to fix it

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was told by my vet it's a way to raise body temperature...not sure if true. He said it was more common in young ratties (not as good at regulating body temp.) I had a boy who did this :3
That's what I'm thinking it is, thank you!

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I've noticed my rats sort of shiver when I have them in an unfamiliar place or something smells strange. I used to think they were just cold, but I've learned that they also do this when nervous or excited. I sometimes will take a rat into a different part of the house or outside, or the other day when I took my oldest girl to the vet, this is when they usually always start doing the shiver thing. She could still just be nervous and/or excited about her new home and surroundings and all the new experiences she's having in a new location.

The only other thing I can think of is it maybe in-heat related? Does she do it when other rats are near her or when you pet her? Could it be the excited girl shivers when she's trying to let others know that she's willng to mate?

If not, sometimes when they're still pretty new, they will shiver without being held. I always wonder if they're just sitting and thinking about things, and their thoughts are making them kind of excited? I guess as long as she's not having an actual fit, or she's not fluffed up and bruxxing in the pain related way, she's probably just settling into her new home.

Or like others have said, maybe she's just a little chilly and shivering to warm up.

·
Registered
335 Posts
Every one of my girls were doing this last night but then I realized they were all in heat. They were vibrating like crazy all over their bodies. A couple of my shyer girls used to do this when I hadn't had them long and would hold them. In that case, I believe they were overly excited/nervous about being handled because they were young and new to living with me.

I just pet their head and back and reassure them that everything was ok and eventually they'd settle down and stop quivering.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts