Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking of some of the stuff that folks told me before I got rats - even those who claimed to know about them! By far, I think the funniest thing I've heard was a pet store employee who told me, and I quote: "The white ones with the red eyes see better than the ones with black eyes." We all know how frustrating the misconceptions about rats can be, so sometimes it's good to be able to laugh off some of the less serious ones. What are the funniest things you've heard from people who don't know what they're talking about when it comes to rats?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I've been told males can't live with anyone else and that females are likely to bite. My males snuggle anything slightly warm and my girls love to give and get kisses.

On a less funny note except for dark humor, rats were cheap pets besides an initial $100 investment for two rats and a cage with accessories. Hahaha.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Oh jeez...what have I not been told. I think the worst was someone who told me that I should keep my rats outside because having them inside would make me sick...There was also a very bad breeder who told me it was ok to keep one male with a lot of females because he'd be "too intimidated" to mate with them; he probably had 20 pregnant females at the time.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I remember when I first started out and bought my very first rat an employee at the pet store told me that I need wet tail medication because rats can have wet tail when first coming home. >.<

·
Registered
863 Posts
Our Jamaican gardener was absolutely convinced that a rat would "steal a baby's breath". I told him flatly that was a myth, and he said, "No, it's true!" When people grow up believing something it's really hard to change their perceptions later on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts