Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this Idea from the last thread.

Whats the funniest or most stupid question you get about your rats. Since I take Algernon out in public with me every day, I get a ton of stupid questions like:

"Oh My God there is a rat on your shoulder! Do you know that?" - No No No! I had nooooo idea that there is a rat on my shoulder. Thanks for telling me.
"Is that your pet or did you find it on the floor?" This is by far the most common. - Yeah, I found him underneath my fridge and just decided to put him on my shoulder.

What funny/stupid questions have you gotten?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
The most common question I get about rats when I talk about mine is "They come in different colors?!" Most people seem to think white and brown are the only colors a rat can come in and people just flat out don't believe me when I tell them that I have siamese and himalayan rats; the usual response to that is "Oh you mean cats?" I've also been asked if I'm worried that I'll get the plague /facepalm

·
Registered
158 Posts
"Aren't you worried about diseases?" - "Don't they bite?"/"How often do you get bit?"/similar biting questions - "What do you feed them?" is a surprisingly common question... uhm... I feed them rat food. ??? That one really surprises me!

My landlord needed a lot of convincing, it's not a question that she had so much as a (weird) assumption - that they will get into the other apartments via the air vents. SO many misconceptions about these guys.

·
Registered
187 Posts
My landlord needed a lot of convincing, it's not a question that she had so much as a (weird) assumption - that they will get into the other apartments via the air vents. SO many misconceptions about these guys.
My housing authority said something similar. The lady over it asked me if they would stay in their cage, citing that they've had "squirrel problems" in some of their apartments. I laughed so hard on the inside, because like, squirrels are SO far removed from rats XD

·
Registered
555 Posts
My grandfather hates rats to the extreme where he won't even come to my house and he has said many bad things but the funniest was "you should get rid of your rats. You might wake up with Ebola" hahha. It cracked me up.

Also, when people find out I have rats or I tell them they go "Oooooohh....." In this weird tone and they make a face. It cracks me up because they're trying to hide how they feel about it and don't want to be rude but I see right through it haha.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
The stupidest question I ever got was from a person who walked right up to me and asked to meet my rat... I had my part wild with me while my daughter was carrying Fuzzy Rat....

But as long as I was holding her and we followed protocol she could be quite friendly. She had to hear someone speaking first, then she had to sniff them, then she would lower her head and allow herself to be skritched and petted. Actually she seemed to enjoy the proper kind of attention... and this person had followed my instructions and even got herself a little rat kiss.

After all that she finally asked... "Does she bite?" Naturally I had to answer... "Yes she does, she's actually quite vicious." Which was the absolute truth... Oddly after a half second of surprise the lady introduced her daughter to our rat.... Who again followed proper protocol and had a pleasant encounter...

Now if someone told me their rat bites and was quite vicious, bringing over my daughter to meet her would be about the last thing I would do... And believe it or not that happened more than once...

I suppose there's something debatable about carrying around a vicious part wild rat, but she could actually be very sweet. I was pretty good at knowing what she liked and what set her off. And when we took the rats out, my daughter always carried Fuzzy Rat while I handled our wild child... What was kind of weird, was that when I'd call the rats and ask who wanted to go outside, some day's she'd run to the door, other days it was Fuzzy Rat. She really didn't like or trust people, but she did like to go outdoors.

Still the stupidest question ever is asking "does your rat bite" after you already pet it...

·
Registered
126 Posts
My rat, who's never bit anyone else, bit my cousin after she was trying to grab at her and screaming very loudly.
My uncle immediately called my father and asked if he should "worry about rabies" ???

he sounded pretty sincere and i was pretty annoyed but also amused. :p

·
Registered
539 Posts
Me: "Yeah, they're all female."
Person: "WHAT?! WHAT IF THEY GET PREGNANT?!"

Person: "Don't you find them gross?"
Me: "Not really... I don't think I'd get an animal I found gross for a pet."

Person: "Don't you know you can get diseases from them?"
Me: "Yeah... but they're pretty clean and I'm more likely to die from a cat."
Person: "Cats can kill you?"
Me: "If you're allergic, yeah."

·
Registered
189 Posts
Even if you aren't allergic, cat scratches and bites can get really bad really fast.

"Do they bite?" is easily one of the most common questions along with "What do they eat?" "She's actually cute" The tails get a lot of comments, most people don't get as bothered by them as they think they will. I love taking the rats places, took one to the barn right before we moved, people were so surprised that they actually liked her. Shocked that rats actually prefer peanuts and chocolate to cheese.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I get asked, "Do they carry disease?". I just reply that wild rats carry disease just like wild animals do, and domestic rats are as safe to handle as domestic dogs and cats.

My Mother is just cruel about them. She won't even come over because of them. She doesn't ask questions... only tells me they deserve to die and I should kill them.

·
Registered
994 Posts
"You have more than one rat? Won't they mate?" It never seems to occur to people that the rats may be the same sex.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Lol, it can be funny how some people are so ignorant. When we used to take our babies in public, we got a lot of people who were surprised to know we even had rats as pets!
But the most confused reactions I get is when I'm picking up fabric and they ask me what I'm making and I tell them "rat hammocks!" .. They don't know how to respond. :D

·
Registered
217 Posts
"Are those guinea pigs?" Yes. Yes they are. With their guinea pig's tails and everything.

... people are weird sometimes :p

·
Registered
994 Posts
One time I was at the supermarket and I was buying a some bones for the rats to chew on and there was a employee stocking shelves next to me. i told my mum "I'd cook the bone before giving it to them" And the employee who happens to be a doglover assumed We were talking about dogs so she butts in and says "You should never give cooked bones to dogs" And my mum says "Oh, no these are for rats" and suprising they took it well like it was normal to buy bones for rats. I was expecting the whole "rats? Ew!" Speech

·
Registered
193 Posts
Someone asked me if I found Pepper outside and took her in. Also if she was food for a snake. Urg. My dad thinks they carry the plague (not really but he doesn't like them at all) I've also been asked if they'd jump off my shoulder and break a leg or run away :/

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Actually people think they are being polite by asking if your rat is a gerbil or a guinea pig. Like you might be somehow be offended if you knew you were carrying a rat on your shoulder...

·
Registered
6 Posts
I usually just get "You have a rat... as a PET? Ew."

I will never understand how people can be so disgusted by rats or mice but think hamsters and gerbils are just the cutest.

·
Registered
272 Posts
"You have more than one rat? Won't they mate?" It never seems to occur to people that the rats may be the same sex.
My response: I often fear that...as rats are closely related to earthworms and can mate with each other regardless of their sex.

·
Registered
383 Posts
My Mother is just cruel about them. She won't even come over because of them. She doesn't ask questions... only tells me they deserve to die and I should kill them.
I can respect someone not liking a particular animal, but that response goes overboard. Every time your mother says that, you should tell her the same about her children. Don't even blink when saying that. Keep doing it until she stops.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts