Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been through quite an ordeal over the last week.

As some of you guys know, I brought home a rescue a few days ago (Clyde), from a rather questionable person (I mentioned this in my other post as well that I wasn't sure about her).

Over the last few days I've looking at my local SPCA's adoption page for small animals, following the advice i'd been given to get him a cagemate; lo-and-behold, another male rat! The same age as Clyde! The rat in the photo looked quite small so I assumed the age wasn't right and it was probably younger than Clyde, but I figured that wouldn't be too much of an issue.
Today, I picked up the rat and brought it home.

While I was there I noticed a bit of sneezing, but it was few and far between (although I had been talking to a volunteer as well, so I can be slightly blamed for not paying enough attention).
When I got this rat home, the first thing i noticed was that it was FEMALE. I had not had a chance to interact with the rat while I was there, although I suppose I could (should?) be blamed for that as well. The second thing I noticed was this rat is far more sick than I initially thought, she has hardly stopped sneezing, and it's worse when she gets excited or agitated (which as you can imagine, happens pretty easily since she's in a new place).

To add to all of this, the girl that gave me Clyde, as I have just found out, is the previous owner of this female. This person gave this rat, who she KNEW was sick, and knew is actually only three weeks old, to the SPCA without giving them any information on this animal.

I am honestly furious. This girl "rescued" this rat. She didn't want to take care of it because it was sick, so she abandoned it at a shelter without even telling anyone that it was sick.

I'm livid. How could someone do that to an innocent, sweet, baby animal?

/rant over.

·
Premium Member
3,636 Posts
Well, in the very least... at least she was surrendered to a shelter and not left to die, set free outside, etc. at least she's in capable hands now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what bothers me the most about this whole thing is that when i called the shelter, they were adamant that she wasn't sick. the woman on the phone insisted she'd been interacting with this rat the entire week, and hadn't noticed a thing. so they either are incredibly ignorant when it comes to the care of small animals, or were just hoping i wouldn't know the difference between a healthy and sick animal.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts