Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm considering to own some rats and i have some questions:
1. In my country, rat is not a common pets (i doubt there are people in my country own rats as pets), they're considered as pests of food for reptiles. So, the only way i can get my future rats is by buying them from reptile shop. Do you guys think it's wise purcashing rats from reptile shop?
2. As i mention earlier, rat is not a common pet, so there is no way i can find any food mix suitable for pet rat. I can actually find mazuri lab blocks that stores market it for hamsters, but sometimes the stores are out of stock for a long time. So, can I just use recipe i found from internet?
3. If i have a pair of female rats, do i need to spay them? My vet can actually spay hamsters, but i haven't ask him if he can also spay rats

I hope you can understand what i meant, i kinda suck writing in english

·
Registered
142 Posts
1. In my country, rat is not a common pets (i doubt there are people in my country own rats as pets), they're considered as pests of food for reptiles. So, the only way i can get my future rats is by buying them from reptile shop. Do you guys think it's wise purcashing rats from reptile shop?
2. As i mention earlier, rat is not a common pet, so there is no way i can find any food mix suitable for pet rat. I can actually find mazuri lab blocks that stores market it for hamsters, but sometimes the stores are out of stock for a long time. So, can I just use recipe i found from internet?
3. If i have a pair of female rats, do i need to spay them? My vet can actually spay hamsters, but i haven't ask him if he can also spay rats

I know of more than a few people that have rats from feeder bins.
I've heard that dry dog food, supplemented with fruits & veggies, can be good for rats. But I can't swear to it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
The only reason you would want to spay or neuter your rats is if they are showing hormonal aggression(HA) or if they get uterine cancer/uterine cysts. They'll show HA by attacking each other and leaving injury on each other.
And you can feed them dog food, but you'll have to feed them a lot of fruits, veggies, and grains. And you'll want to watch their teeth and make sure they don't grow too big.
Here's some websites where you can see some homemade rat food recipes, I'm not sure how well balanced they are though.

You can also order rat foods online, including Mazuri for rats. I personally suggest Oxbow young rat and mouse food if they are under 6 month and oxbow adult rat food when they're over 6 months. But I know that It may be a bit expensive and hard to get.

·
Registered
Tesla, Ruby, Cloud, and Poe
28 Posts

Yes, you can use feeder rats as pets. However, they may not have the same temperament or health as ones bred as pets.

Do you have access to Amazon or other sites that can ship rat food to you? I buy most of my rat food and supplies online.

It's not necessary to spay a pair of females except for tumors.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts