Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gadget has been going to the vet for her eye. It was irritated and they were giving us drops that seemed to be making it better. Then a few days ago her eye seemed swollen and gross, eventually turning a different color from her other eye. The vet says that her eye ruptured. They don't know what caused it, although they said that there is a tiny chance there is a tumor behind her eye. Other scenarios involve her falling and hitting it, or getting in a fight with one of the other girls. I personally think she might have accidentally scratched it while trying to clean it, since it was irritated. She was at the vet all day, with Olivia to keep her company. I love our vet, cause they will let us bring a rattie friend for a trip like this so that Gadget doesn't get too scared or depressed.

As of today, she's on pain meds, and in a separate "hospital" cage. She has a wheel that she's using (I stole the boys' wheel since they don't know how to use it yet), and I made her a quick no-sew pouch hammock, that she's currently sleeping in. The vet said that she can have supervised play time with the other girls every day to keep up her spirits. She's scheduled for surgery on Tuesday. Leaving the eye the way it is was not an option because she's in pain, and putting her to sleep wouldn't be considered because she's young and otherwise completely healthy.

The vet who will perform the surgery has never removed a rat's eye, but he is the surgeon for the birds at the vet office, and is very familiar with small animal surgery. Our vet assured us that they will take tons of precautions, and that rats do better than other small animals (like rabbits) when under anesthesia. Basically, our vet thinks she will live through the surgery.

On a lighter note, they might have to make her a very tiny collar so that she can't scratch at her eye after the surgery. I'm anticipating that it will be adorable.

I'm just hoping that she makes it through this okay. I'm pretty worried.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
She made it! I'll post pics of our little pirate later. I'm sitting at the vet waiting to pick her up. They said she was awake and eating.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The vet says she's in less pain now than when she had the bad eye.

She's on baytril and metacam. We have to watch for weird poop and make sure she eats and drinks. They said there is a chance she'll get an abscess, so we have to watch for that too.

And if anyone is wondering, it costs around $330 to remove a rat's eye.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! She's not in the clear yet, but we're hoping for a fast recovery. I definitely never imagined having a rat go through such a big surgery. I was expecting tumors when the girls are older, but not eye removal in a rat who's less than a year old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts