Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a bout of pneumonia with my ratties and while we have that sorted out, one of the rats (Minnie) has lost a lot of weight. We think she has scarring left in her lungs as she got very, very bad. She's eating but I don't think it's enough. All the rats are on Oxbow Regal Rat. A week and a half or two ago she weighed 330 grams at the vet, today she weighed 299. I got a gram scale 3 days ago and she's been dropping about 3 grams a day since at least then. She's very thin, almost skin and bones and she used to be very chunky. I gave her some cheese the day before yesterday but I don't want her to get sick so I didn't want to give her too much dairy. What should I be giving her to help her gain weight?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Neera steadily gained weight while she was sick on baby food. My vet prescribed at least 1 mL a day to get her weight up. She's naturally a skinny girl but she gained about 30-40 grams in two weeks on the baby food.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I remembered that NutriCal thing but baby food also makes sense and would probably be cheaper. Was there a particular type/brand? Also she's on another round of steroids because her breathing was bad but because it's likely from scarring of the lungs, there isn't a ton we can do. Is there anything that would help open her airways? Some sort of essential oil or anything like that?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I've heard steaming is good for rats with respiratory issues. As for the baby food, it's just Gerber second-stage brand. I usually get the sweet potato flavor. Basically, anything sweet my girls loved! They hated anything that wasn't sweet flavored... There's some sugar in the baby food, so go easier on the normal treats while you're giving her the baby food so you don't overdo her sugar amounts. :3

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's not getting too much better with the steroids and she lost 6 grams today. I put her into a carrier with a water bottle and some dog food to see if I she would eat it away from the other rats but it's not looking too good for her. We've already decided that if she doesn't get better with the steroids we will have to put her down, it's just not fair for her. But, do rats need closure? Like are they the type of animal that wants to see their dead, like how elephants want to say goodbye? (Wow that sounds really grim) What should be the plan if we need to?

·
Registered
581 Posts
I think it's recommended to show the body to the other rats. Do not leave it in the cage with them, but allow them to each individually sniff the body and recognize for themselves that their friend has passed on. I hope it doesn't come to this though. DX

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We're going to have to bring her this evening I think. She ate about 1 bite of this cooked rice mix with brown sugar on top. She's just not doing good :/ Should we bring the others or just 2? She's extremely anti-social to people so she hasn't been to the vet without a buddy. I think gas would be best since she's a "jumper" and flips out with shots. Would it be possible for them to just overdose a sedative?

·
Registered
581 Posts
The vets will decide what the best course of action is for her. I believe a sedative is given before anything regardless. I would only bring one. It would keep the stress to a minimum for everyone. I'd pick your biggest cuddler/calmest rat for this position... A cuddler will help you through it afterwards. </3 I'm so sorry you have to go through this...

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
We let her go a little bit ago. It was hard but I don't regret it. I ended up bringing the others and the girl I would least expect to groomed her and was guarding her for a bit. I wish I didn't have to but when I saw her in the carrier, she didn't look like she would last the night even if we didn't do it. I know she's happier now and that's what matters.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts