Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay - I'm going to try to remain as calm as possible .. seeing as how my ratty is acting very very very strangely and there's not a vet around in site who will treat pet rats.

One of my rats has always been very sniffly - almost ever since I got him. Just now I woke up to him making a very clear gasping - but not choking .... because he stopped a minute or so later... but he's been going this gasping thing every so often since then ....

And finding a rat vet anywhere close this time of evening that's open is nearly impossible.

Does anyone have any idea what this could possibly be? :cry:

EDIT: I also changed from Carefresh for sensitive skin to the normal Carefresh ... if anyone thinks he might be having an allergic reaction to it?

·
Registered
655 Posts
I would say a chest infection, you can probably here the air rushing through the spaces made smaller by mucus. My lot have been sneezing for weeks and have just got anti biotics.
I would tell whatever vet you can get its an infection,
I was told to give baytril 0.2 ml twice a day
hope that helps

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
an allergic reaction is a possibility but i've heard that very few rats actually have allergies. possibly switching just stirred stuff up in the air and encouraged an infection that was already working it's way up? i hope you can find a vet soon! they shouldn't have to do much so it shouldn't cost too much money, but i understand it can be hard to find someone. :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've waiting out the morning ... and, no sniffling, no gasping.

They're as calm and happy as ever ... although I'm still
panic striken from the whole ordeal.

Still going to take them to the vet though .. I know they need it. :?

Wish me luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts