Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey i was just wondering if there is a way to tell age in rats ??

My middle child ( as i call her lol ) actually seems to be alot older than the supposedly older one lol.

No real things to say that she is. I just have a feeling from how she looks / behaves..

So if anyone can tell me how i can work out roughyl how old she is would be good

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Generally I think body 'look' is about the only way, though after they're adults, it gets harder...

·
Registered
229 Posts
One of the vets I took my girls to thought Dust simply had a shorter body shape than Gohma. I thought she could be right, but I've been noticing over the course of a few days that Dust is growing and as she looses her baby fluff her body is starting to get longer like a young-adult rat. :3

So I guess short body = young rat
long body = adult rat

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Hmm i dunno

my 8.5week old ratties are v little my mum is sure there not 8 weeks and the petshop lied/got it wrong ..they dnt eat nothing apart from reggie rat food either , so i took there reggie away for just one night and put it cubed tomatoe and cucumber in the same bowl in the same area see if that helps

have u googled it - i would type it signs of age in rats or somthing
Jess x

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
fur texture, body shape overall, how they stand and move...when babies and young rats they are running on their toes, springy and bouncy. When they age their foot drops until the whole hind foot is on the ground.

Take pics from all angles and we can try to estimate an age. Unfortunately these are generalities. My 2 year old Brie is still very similar in shape and stance to her younger self :)

·
Registered
899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok thanks you guys. I will get some pics up as soon as i fix my camera lol should be in the enxt couple days.

From what the pet shop said she should be about 10 months old. But from rats ive seen and the way her fur is changing and her general personality she SEEms older.

Anyway pics will come soon xx

1 - 6 of 6 Posts