Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is the wrong place for this but I'm just curious.
I picked up two Siamese brothers and a hairless male last night. Sweet as can be. I know the parents of the rats but before that I'm not sure. I'm going to ask her later on today if she knows the grandparents. But what my question is how were these babies possible and who likely carries which trait. I'm not breeding them this is just for my own knowledge.
My hairless was a result of a male hairless and a female white with gray hood.
My Siamese were a result of a hairless male and an all black female. The Siamese are both dumbo. But I don't know about parents.
The two hairless fathers are not the same but they are brothers.

I'm curious about how my hairless came to be. I was under the impression that if you breed a hairless with a standard you get standard coats. Is this only most of the time?
And I'm also wondering about the Siamese trait. Is it likely that it came from the mother with her being black or the father? Meaning which my hairless could also carry the Siamese trait because he is related?

When and if I find out more about their background I will up date.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
The hairless gene is recessive add far add I'm aware (not one i breed for our am that interested in) so dad had 2 copies of the gene and that means mum must have had 1 copy so been a hairless carrier despite being standard. In that case the litter should have been roughly 50:50 hairless to standard rats, though rats are often reluctant to tow the line when it comes to probability.

In terms of Siamese this is also a recessive gene so mum and dad needed to have carried it. i expect that you would notice it on a hairless if he was a Siamese hairless (i know you can clearly see dark markings as pigment on the skin but I've never seen a Siamese hairless and hairless isn't showable overt here and very few ethical breeders have ever really bred them) so i would assume he's just a carrier. On that basis there would be roughly 25% Siamese in the litter. Either way if the 2 dad's are related then there is every chance your hairless carries Siamese but there's also every chance he doesn't. recessive genes are a pain, they can hid for many generations until they pair up and you get the variety show up. short of doing a test mating thete is normally no way to know for sure what genes ate carried

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.