Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, so this is my first post so I’m not really sure what I’m doing here. I have a rat who is about 2 years old now and up until earlier this week he was super energetic and he seemed to go downhill really fast. I had to move him to a smaller single story cage because he was falling off the higher levels, he’s lost a lot of weight in a short amount of time, he’s having extreme balance issues and falls over when he walks. I scheduled a vet appointment, but Thursday was the soonest they could fit me in but with his recent issues I’m worried he won’t make it till then. He’s still eating although not as much as he can’t hold his food in his paws anymore which worries me.
I’m hoping that maybe it’s just an ear infection but I am worried it’s something worse.
Does anybody have any advice on making him as comfortable as possible?
I am also going to get some baby food for him because of the issues he’s having eating. Are there any particular brands or flavors I should get him?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi there, he kind of sounds like a rat I had that developed a pituitary tumor though I’m sure your vet will be much more knowledgeable than me. As for baby foods, I recommend getting ones with meat as my girls tend to go crazy for those ones. You can try crushing up his usual food and mixing it into the baby food, it may help him eat it if he’s struggling with solid foods. You should also keep an eye on how much he is drinking, as he may struggle to drink on his own. Just try to spend time with him and be there for him. I’m sorry your boy is going downhill :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That sounds like a pituitary tumour :( A veggie-based baby food is probably best, but they tend to like meat-flavoured ones best
I’m really hoping it isn’t a pituitary tumor but I’ve been researching and I think you’re probably right. The worst part is he’s gone downhill just in a matter of days. I’ve been having to give him water through a syringe because he won’t drink out of his water bottle. I got him some fruit and veggie mix baby foods as he’s always really loved fruit. I may try to get him some with meat though. He’s lost a lot of weight over a really short period of time so maybe that will help?
Anyway, thank you.

·
Registered
802 Posts
You can settle him in a box with a lot of fleece and put his water bottle in through a hole in the card board to give him like a little bed. Also, have you noticed anything going on with his rat friend?

·
Registered
Bandit, Biscuit, and Sage
446 Posts
I’m really hoping it isn’t a pituitary tumor but I’ve been researching and I think you’re probably right. The worst part is he’s gone downhill just in a matter of days. I’ve been having to give him water through a syringe because he won’t drink out of his water bottle. I got him some fruit and veggie mix baby foods as he’s always really loved fruit. I may try to get him some with meat though. He’s lost a lot of weight over a really short period of time so maybe that will help?
Anyway, thank you.
I'm really sorry you have to go through this 🙁 Best of luck with your little man <3

1 - 6 of 6 Posts