Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im so exited.... i orderd this cage...

http://www.petsmart.com/product/ind...ge&kwCatId=2767038&parentPage=search&keepsr=1

which is coming in tomorrow !

any tips i should know when getting them ?

my parents finally gave in... my mom totoally hates rats... she thinks their ugly . :[ but i think she'll like them after a while...

im getting 2 female ratties... which i alreay came up with names [mocha and latte] but i will probobly change it after i get them... XD

iv reserched probobly every single rat site there is on the internet for the past couple of months.... yah... im supper exited... :eek:

anyways, i thought it would be good to get some tips from people with experience [these will be my first rats...]

i probobly won't get any sleep tonight... 8O

·
Registered
347 Posts
Congratulations, you will enjoy having rats!

What diet will you have them on? What litter are you using? Just a little tip, if your planning on putting water in a bowl, it can be contaminated with just about anything. Water bottles are recommended. Make sure to clean out the cage weekly, if not, every couple of days.

This is all just the basics. There are many more things that can be said.

Good luck!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thats is so exciting!

mocha and latte are such cute names! Good luck with your two ratty girlies and since you are getting two rats, make sure the cage is big enough and make sure you change their water every day. (I confess, I don't change my rats water EVERY day, but I try to).

Make sure you have little chew toys, a house, and give them nice little treats to make them warm up to you. Its great that you are getting two too! :D :p

Goooooooood luck! :wink:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Congrats! My mom is the same as yours, but my dad is all for it. So, i'm just working on getting enough money to get the little critters. But, good luck! And be sure to post some photos. ;D

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Yep
Make sure they have a good healthy diet try to get rat nuggets as it helps not make the ratties have selective feeding , they also need good veg and fruit in there diet (but u said u looked at tons of sites so im sure u know this)

Jess x

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
im going to use carefreash bedding... i know that some bedding can be too dusty, and pine isn't good for them at all... ill make sure to post some pics of them when i get them ! im gonna feed them rat food from the petstore, and fruits and vegies to vary their diet... dont forget the treats too i will give them ! :]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Couple tips:
-Treats are fine, but try to keep them overall healthy. Things like carrots, veggies, little bit of peanut butter, etc, are good. If you get the sugary yogurt treats, give them very sporadic. They are very sugary, and can be bad for rats.
-When you first get your rats, after they have become comfortable with their living space, be sure to introduce yourself as much as possible. Put your hand in their cage, pet them, pick them up (if they let you), and generally pay attention to them as much as possible.
-Rats will be healthiest if you let them out as much as possible. If you let them run around your room, be sure there is nothing they can chew that will hurt them, or make your mom mad about. I know that my girls loved to chew my blankets, all the time. If I left them on my bed, they'd chew bunches of holes. So if you let them out on the floor or the bed, watch them closely. Letting them out a lot to run around will make them healthier than just sitting in their cages.

Show us some pictures when you get the ratties, I'd love to see them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
im going to let them out 20-45minutes at a time in my bathroom at the least twice a day, if i have enough time. is that enough ?

also, dont worry, ill post pictures in the 'meet my rat' fourm when i get them ! i only slept like 4 hours i was so exited... XD

:]

·
Registered
50 Posts
Initially they will be really crazy, but my favorite times with my rats was just sitting with them, either on my computer, on my couch, or on my floor, and just playing with them. They loved to explore the couch as babies, and I loved to just sit and watch TV as they had fun. I really think letting out rats as much as possible makes them healthy and happy. Anyway, that's just my 2 cents :)

·
Registered
347 Posts
20-45 minutes twice a day will be just fine. My rattlets come out about that long aswell.

''im gonna feed them rat food from the petstore'' Usually petstores contain bad rat mixes. Lab blocks are recommended.

''Treats are fine, but try to keep them overall healthy. Things like carrots, veggies, little bit of peanut butter, etc, are good.'' Neophyte, I've been told that peanut butter is actually bad for rats. I have never tryed giving them any because the effect could be bad. I guess I wouldn't really know though as it was just something I was told.

i-love-rats, I am very excited to see pictures of your ratties! :D

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'd be surprised if peanut butter was any worse for rats than Yogurt treats high in sugar. My rats, especially as they aged, loved bits of peanut butter on bread. I never had a problem with it. I never gave them a large amount though. Let me know where you heard this, I'd be interested to know if I am wrong.

·
Registered
Widget & Gadget
323 Posts
Number one with new rats is patience. You may often find they are a bit skittish around you until they get to know you, but don't let them hide away! Pet them, skritch them and let them run across your shoulders. Walk about with them riding in a hooded top (that's my George's favourite place at the moment) and let them generally explore you and you'll fall in love in no time.

Also, if you want to be able to do things like give them baths or use a wheel, it's best to introduce them to these things very young for your best chance of success. Also potty training.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I might be a bit too late since you said you were getting them on Monday but my suggestion was going to be about how you go about selecting your rats... you don;t... you let them pick you.

it is human nature to pick out the things that attract our eye but this isn't a good method when picking out a pet. You have to select them based on health & personality first & foremost.

If you follow that rule of thumb by allowing the rat to pick you... you won't go through near as much trouble of getting them to accept you as you so often read about.

Of the crew I have right now & of those that were actually picked up from a retail store... not one was ever shy about being played with because I did just what I said... I was patient & I let the rat come forward & "tell" me, "I'm ready to be your friend, take me home!"

1 - 14 of 14 Posts