Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I am new to the forum. I am getting a pair of female Rats after work today. I have an odd question though. I have a huge floor playpen that my Ferret spends some out of cage time in.

Can the Rats also use the playpen WHEN THE FERRET IS NOT IN IT, OF COURSE :lol:. If I have a healthy ferret and healthy rat they can use the same tubes and toys in the playpen without any health concerns...right?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, so a few people have checked this out but no answer,

I guess there are 0 issues. The rats shouldn't get spooked by the scent of ferret or anything? The reason I asked was just to make sure there was no common contagious ailments that can spread.

Such as my ferrets can catch human influenza and dog saliva is toxic to my parrot, you know, stuff like that.

A rat is a hardy animal I guess.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Ferrets are actually predators of rats, so the smell could in fact frighten them quite badly. I've never witnessed it, but I've heard stories of rats that would not come out of their cage if the smell of ferret was nearby. Just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
486 Posts
If I was you then I'd give the toys a good wash after your ferret has been out and the same as when your rats have been out.
Some simple anti-bacterial wet wipes would be fine, I guess.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have heard stories of rats biting owners after they handle their ferret, so I would say no.

·
Registered
175 Posts
My rats have been around a friend's ferrets many times. They are a bit nervous of them, but don't seem to mind them much. Yuki actually ran down me and jumped onto the bed and went over and sniffed the ferret's tail before i was able to catch her...luckily, the ferret didn't seem to realize that she was there. I've also let them crawl around in the ferrets' cage when the ferrets were out playing and my rats didnt seem to care.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Rats will be spooked by the smell of predators, even if they have never met one. Cats do this most commonly, but so can the smell of dogs or ferrets. I'd try it out, after your rats feel comfortable with their new home, and see if they are scared. I don't know much about ferrets, but I doubt there would be any health concerns involved.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I think it will be fine, but thats just me.....:/

1 - 11 of 11 Posts