Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My once-tiny girl Coconut is starting to put on weight. She's definitely bulkier than any of my other rats, but I think she just has a bigger build. However, she is starting to look a little chubby. She eats the same food as everyone else, and has even started running on the wheel. My other rats look very healthy and fit, even Sakura who has no interest in the wheel and doesn't even like to run around much. I've started limiting the amount of Suebee's grain mix she gets, letting the other girls eat as much as they want while I have Coconut out, and then giving her some as treats, keeping the Nutro out all the time. It doesn't seem to be having an effect though, and I'm worried that it might not be letting her get all of the vitamins and nutrients she needs. None of the big girls get yogies anymore, just veggies and occasionally fruit (they're very picky with fruit). But she's still putting on the pounds! (Or, well, I suppose in her case, grams? ^^)

What can I do to keep her healthy? Is there a rat "diet" I could try?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Sorry I don't have an answer, I was actually coming to ask this same question. I've also got a pudgy rat who eats the same as the others and gets the same amount of exercise, etc. I'm wondering how to go about getting him less pudgy without removing him from the tank or making the others go hungry. I think the obvious answer to the weight problem is to feed them less, my little fatty has plenty of chub on him to keep him going for a while. :p

Mine get only HT lab blocks (for adults) and fresh veggies a few times a week. I've cut out almost all 'treats' other than veggie treats. Pea fishing is usually treat time now, which is maybe once a week. The pudgy rat is in a 4 story cage and he eats on the bottom floor and sleeps on the top, so he does go up and down a lot, and they get open play time also.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts