Rat Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just placed the order on amazon! It should be here Wednesday!
Does anyone have any tips? I also got two corner potties and I'm going to see if my grandma will make a few fleece linings for it, but any other tips? Does anyone know where a pattern for the lining might be?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I find the liners get destroyed rather quickly, so I just take the fleece and tuck it in. Once there are too many holes, it becomes small blankets, and I get new remnants from JoAnns. It's still way cheaper than buying carefresh or other bedding.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I find the liners get destroyed rather quickly, so I just take the fleece and tuck it in. Once there are too many holes, it becomes small blankets, and I get new remnants from JoAnns. It's still way cheaper than buying carefresh or other bedding.
Yes! I will never take the time to buy or make liners because I would be heartbroken everytime I saw a new hole, haha. I use saftey pins and pin fleece so that it won't leave the pan.
First off, you are going to love this cage! (after slamming it together and pulling your hair out) My advice would be have lots of fleece scraps around, and wipe down the cage often. Lots of urine builds up and I've noticed that is where a lot of smell comes from.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have a marble tile on one corner where the litter box is, and then bricks in the other three corners. I find this helps cut down on chewing the fleece, as well as keeping the rats nails a little duller, since the food bowl is above the biggest brick. We don't have the second level yet, but I'm planning to do the same up there too.

In the summer they can lay on the marble tile to keep cool, which is why it's there.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll keep all this in mind. My other question is, I live on the third floor, with no elevator. How much difficulty/pain am i going to go through to get this thing to my room? How many people do I need to enlist to help carry it? Thank you!

·
Registered
561 Posts
Build it in the room you want it in, lol. It will take at least two to just build, I wouldn't want to carry it up the stairs.

·
Registered
680 Posts
I built it myself, not that hard.

I recommend getting, or having on hand, a rubber mallet. It's suppose to all just snap together, but not all the piece lined up quite right so it took a bit of banging. If you bang on it with a regular hammer you'll chip off the powder coating.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'd say probably two people.

My room is the third floor of our house, and I just barely managed to bull my SCN up there. Then again, I'm a twiggy 115lb girl.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Need at least 2, possibly 3 people to carry that monster of a box. It is very heavy! In terms of building, my boyfriend set it up on his own in a couple of hours so you should be able to do it by yourself but as someone already suggested, you will need some sort mallet to force it all into place. Its kind of chaotic building the thing but totally worth it once set up. It is a huge cage.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Yeah I'm a big guy, so moving it around on my own wasn't that big of a deal. Although I didn't have to take it up any stairs other then the 2 steps into my door after UPS dropped it off on the porch.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Be prepared to get so frustrated while building it that at least once you just want to throw down the tools and scream :p but it's worth it!

·
Registered
680 Posts
I didn't have much trouble with mine. But the Amazon warehouse is only a few towns over so it didn't get that beat up in shipping. I know other complain about parts being bent from shipping and causing increased frustration when assembling. Other then needing a few whacks with the mallet to get the side on it pretty much snapped together as advertised.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
If you can't find someone to help you lug it up the stairs, take it out piece by piece and carry it. You can easily put it together alone as long as you're about average height (I'm 5'5" and fairly petite and did it by myself). The possibilities for decorating are pretty much endless with these cages, so have fun with it! I recommend having 2-3 sets of liners that way you can just trade out if you're cleaning in a hurry. I also rotate hammocks, toys, etc. so that they don't get bored.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I managed to find some poor soul to help me carry the cage up the stairs, and I also managed to assemble the majority of the cage myself only lacking the rubber mallet my boyfriend delivered later in the night. I love the cage already, it is fantastic. The girls are still reluctant to use the potty trays instead of just going anywhere.
I'm so happy!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts