Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How does everyone get a rat to open its mouth? I'm trying to trim my rat's teeth, but can not figure out how to get its mouth open.

When you guys are checking their teeth or anything like that how do you get the mouth open? Is there a part I should squeeze? If I squeeze her cheeks it will work, but when I see pictures of people doing it online they aren't squeezing the cheek but rather somewhere else.

Any suggestions? Pictures would be great, because I can find no information about this online (Every teeth trimming site just skips over this part)

·
Registered
407 Posts
You would love my rat Nicodemus....he is a little copy rat. If I look at him and open my mouth, he will open his; if I stick my tongue out at him, he sticks his tongue out at me.

As far as how to MAKE a rat do anything, I have not a clue. Best as I can tell, I cant MAKE them do anything....but they sure as heck can make me do whatever their little rattie hearts and heads come up with!

·
Registered
489 Posts
Nicodemus sounds too cute!

With most animals, you squeeze cheeks. but rats are tiny so itll be hard.

Why do you want to trim the teeth? Were you told too by a vet?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She has a malocclusion and will need to have her teeth trimmed every two to three weeks. I might just have to take her to the vet again though because my attempts have been completely unsuccessful.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Is there anything you can get her to try and bite on?

·
Registered
981 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oddly enough she'll actually bite the clippers. The problem is I need like a solid 10 seconds to make sure that her lips and tongue are out of the way, and once that clipper gets on her teeth she flips out.

I've been calling around to vets today, because I don't want to go back to my old vet for the way she treated lice (Which I suspect were mites the whole time). Unfortunately, she only charges $8 though. I've found a different vet an hour away who charges $28. So I'm not sure what to do.

I don't feel like I can go back to the original vet because I'm not going to follow her idea for treating the lice (Covering the rats in a pesticide called Sevin Dust), but every day I'm running out of options. Her teeth aren't making her bleed or anything, but they are obviously uncomfortable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts