Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Theo is turning out to be quite a handful....and expert acrobat.
No matter how much time I spend with him, attempting to cuddle him, feeding him treats etc, he wants zero to do with me. I've been following immersion like with the other two, and where they made progress, he hasn't. He is the only one out of the three who I am convinced will bite me one day, due to the chase he gives me pretty much every time I get him out of his cage, with a leap of faith from my arms to straight under the sofa, to then being terrified when trying to coax him out.
He's a bit rough with my older boys too, when playing and so on, but is this due to him being so young? I've had him for just over a month now and becoming disheartened with us not connecting :( even just a little bit.

·
Registered
955 Posts
It took me about three months to connect to my boy Muffin. He's a bit more antisocial than my other two, doesn't like being touched and flinched if you reach out and would constantly run away. I had to make a special effort with him as we just weren't bonding.
He's still not as keen on cuddles as my other rats but after a lot of work he now jumps on my lap and runs up to sniff my face and request a head scratch and sometimes even boggles in his cage if I stroke him when he's sleepy.

Some rats just take longer than others to come round. What really helped my boy was I started teaching him tricks. I started off teaching him to spin, just as an experiment, and I didn't expect him to learn so fast! It was like he clicked and realised we could communicate with each other. I think that one on one time, eating treats and getting lots of praise really helped his confidence too, and he started being more playful with the other rats after that.

Just keep plugging away - hopefully you will have a breakthrough moment with Theo soon too :)

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I tend to go for lots of one on one time in a small space (say on a chair or a couch) with rats that are reluctant to bond. If you make it so there is nothing else more intersting than you around he will start to notice you. Once he starts he will start to include you in his mad rampages around the place (he's still a youngster so wont be cuddly for a while if ever). A good trick is actually not to let it bother you, treat him normally, picking him up and stroking him occasionally but not insisting that all his attention is on you. Instead let him realise that its worth getting a bit more interest from you and start interacting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts