Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got 2 female rats in October and November of 2014 and my boyfriend has finally agreed that I can get another one.

I've read that having 3 is good for company in case one rat passes away so the other one will have a friend that they are used to.

Since my girls have almost been with me for a year I'm wondering what age the new rat should be before I introduce them? Is there anything else I should expect?

There's a pet store near my house that has a few previously owned pet rats and I'm thinking that if I adopt an older one that would be good? Or should I go for a younger one?

Any comments with info are appreciated :)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I think the age for introducing females is 12 weeks. You can always get a younger rat and keep her in a separate cage for a couple of weeks (quarantine time) while she grows and you bond with her. I, personally, have never had a problem with introducing females younger than 12 weeks to my females (my last introduction was an 8 week old to my 4 females who range in age from about 1 to 1.5 years) but I'm sure it depends on your girls. As with all introductions, do them on neutral territory and supervise closely. I'm a bit skeptical of getting rats older than a couple of months from pet stores since they're generally not well socialized, but that depends on the store and the rats as well.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's what I was thinking as far as the older rat. I'm going on Thursday and I'll see how it goes. I'd love to have a little baby again. It's nice to train them to do things and easier when they're younger also (litterbox training etc).

I have an old hamster cage that should be big enough for a little baby rat for a few weeks.

Also, I have amoxicillin tablets. I was thinking of starting my current girls on it the day that I get the new rat and starting the new rat on it also to make sure all is good. I normally do 2 weeks but I could do 2 weeks and then introduce them and continue medication for another week just to make sure no one gets the other sick and just to make sure everyone doesn't have the beginning of something.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts