Rat Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi,
So on thursday (16th June) we bought a Savic Suite Royale rat cage second hand. The seller gave us a bunch of accessories too for 20 pounds extra (which was great!) + a big bag of cardboard bedding for free.
She said it was dust extracted and that she'd used it for her own rats (I believe she said she'd had 17 rats total over time, generally she seemed pretty experienced with rats too.) but I did notice some dust when I picked up a handful, so I put some into a tub and brought it out to shake up a little to get it out and get the bedding ready today. It's really dusty from what I can see, and it doesn't seem to get much better by digging around in it/shaking the tub..

*Edit
It's not really that dusty. If you don't disturb it enormously, the dust just gathers on the bottom and the top bits are relatively okay.

I've heard pop up mesh laundry baskets could be used to get rid of dust? Also, is Carefresh a good bedding as litter? I'm planning to possibly use it for litter trays.

Is a bit of dust normal for cardboard bedding?

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
Waffle (F 1y 4m) Pita(F1y 7m) Sprinkles(F 11m) Little Guy (M 2y 8m) Panacake(M 2Y 8m)
17 Posts
get some sort of fine mesh-type material or netting and shake it outside until you get all the dust out. I also suggest freezing it to kill any mites or parasites that may be in it. As for the litter tray bedding, I prefer the full cheeks paper pellet bedding, it seems to have pretty good odor control and is super absorbent.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I use a mesh laundry basket to sift the dust out of the shredded aspen wood bedding I use and I've been very happy with the results. It's a bit of extra work but I use it on all bedding now.

You can use carefresh in the litter boxes. I'd suggest experimenting with different types of litter/bedding until you find what works best for you. Other options include fragrance free paper pellet cat litter, wood shavings, wood pellets, alfalfa pellets, etc.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, good to know the basket idea might work.
I've been told somewhere else the bedding isn't good since it isn't horse grade cardboard?

We could try to freeze it in small portions, it seems really dry though so my dad said there's probably no mites in it.. Could there still be mites? Also, how cold does it have to get to kill them, anything under 0°c? (32°f)

I think we'll probably just get rid of it (or leave it somewhere in the house until we're sure) and get Aubiose hemp bedding instead.
We most likely will be experimenting around since I've heard Aubiose is really messy haha, so thanks for the other suggestions.

For litter, after looking up a bunch of different beddings I'm leaning toward Breeder Celect since I heard Carefresh doesn't have the best absorbancy & ammonia control..? Sadly I also don't think Full Cheeks exists over here in the U.K.

Thanks for the advice!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts