Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It has a removable grate for the rat to sit on, the droppings go right through the holes. So they wouldn't be sitting directly on the litter itself. Should I keep the grate on or take it off? Bumblefoot is an initial worry but will just standing on it sometimes and not for extended periods of time make a difference? Thanks.

·
Registered
Hulu, Dibs, Sprout, & Mochi
849 Posts
I personally don't like the grates because their poop sometimes gets stuck on it and then you must clean it and there is always the risk of bumble foot. I would remove it if I were you.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
I bought a grated litter box once but I ended up throwing the grate away. One of my rats was dropping food down into the litter box to stash it and then he couldn't reach it. Mainly it was just something else to clean. It didn't really improve how the litter box worked. I don't think bumblefoot is a concern at all so you can definitely try it if you want to. Maybe your experience will be better than mine! I'd suggest just getting the cheapest thing that can be affixed to the side of the cage. You could even just go to Goodwill and grab a pyrex pan or something.

·
Registered
Cloud and Dew (Pearl Merle and American Mink, both with Irish markings)!
507 Posts
I agree with both replies, I have a grated litter box but I removed the grate because
A. Poses the issue of Bumblefoot
B. Rats will drop food in as storage and might grab poo instead while reaching for it
C. Coprophagy - rats might want to eat their own poop, this is disgusting but normal and a grate will prevent the natural process of this.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts