Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I mentioned some questions in the health thread earlier about my two new rats. I've got a question behavior wise though too. They are two male brother rats, very young (about 3-4 inchs long, not with tail). About how old are they for this size? They compare in size with an adult hamster.

Anyway, I've only had them for 2 days, and they are beginning to already get used to my touching them. They are starting to let me pick them up with out as big as a fight. And Rodger (the brave one) actually climbed his way up my arm to my shoulder. The thing is my mom is still afraid of one getting loose, as am I a bit. I just feel that once I take my hands off them, they might dart away. Now, I now rats are very smart and normally stay by there owners, but these guys are very young. I'm afraid they don't know well enough and will wander away too quickly for me to grab them. Are they too young begin this? If so, how old should they be and what should I do to get them ready to finally set them down without me holding them.

Thanks for all your help guys!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
They're likely very young and could therefore be quite easy to spook. Perhaps while they're young you could try playing with them in a sealed room, like a bathroom or bedroom, where you've 'ratproofed' so they can't get out into the house-proper?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I was worried about my young ratlings getting spooked and hiding somewhere my in my apartment, but I just let them run loose and they seem to stay in the same area.

·
Registered
798 Posts
there are always options, you could get a bunch of cardboard boxes and turn them into a free roaming fun house, but you would have to keep a close eye on them as rats are Quite able jumpers.

·
Registered
798 Posts
oops sorry for some reason i thought this was more of a plea for some advice on free roaming, after re reading i now see what the actual question was.

It sounds like you're in dire need of a bit of trust training, if you've only owned your rats for 2 days I'm guessing that you didn't know that they should be left alone for atleast the first day, anywho, you can easily trust train them using food. My rats are so friendly with me that when they escape (which thank god is rare) I just have to call them a few times and they come out thinking i have food for them :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts