Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've decided that while im in college and living at my parent's house, my rat limit is no more than six. Fortunately, there's been a change at my job and I will now be making twice as much as I used to. Most of this goes into my college savings fund, which is also an emergency vet fund, and I've got a substantial amount saved up already. I've figured out how to live as frugally as possible for both me and the rats, and only spend a lot of money in areas where I can't sacrifice quality. So I think im ready to expand my mischief again, I havent even had rats a year yet but already 4 seems so small! I will be getting males, and I was wondering whether (for the sake of introductions) it would be better to get 2 adult males, or 2 baby males. My girls are very sweet and playful, and one of my boys is very passive and shy. The only one I'm worried about is my other male Pepe. He isnt aggressive, but he does like to play rough and he bullies his brother (who is a major crybaby). So I dont know how he would take to new males. I dont think he will hurt them, I'm just not sure if he will feel challenged by new males since his brother is so submissive.
There are a lot of "options" for rats in my area, TONS of Byb's which I want to avoid. There is a rat rescue in the town over with two adult makes I've had my eye on. The rescue they're at is fantastic, they neuter all their males and take them to the vet, socialize them individually, feed Oxbow, basically all the stuff any of us do for our rats. I've never adopted from them or even been up there, but I've talked with the owner a lot.
The second option (and I know off the bat this is a bad one) is these two baby boys someone in my area is selling. I'm not really sure what the heck theyre doing, but from what I gather they have a lot of rats and I think they're starting to breed maybe. I saw them trying to give away some excess males for free, and they are selling their babies for $5 (so feeder prices) and theres a decent amount of reptile owners in this area. I'm not really sure about their condition or what theyre being fed/housed in. The people selling them dont seem like bad people, but really I dont think anyone in this area has any excuse to breed animals period.
The ONLY reason Im even bringing the baby boys up is because of their circumstances, and because theyre priced so low and are still small, theyre feeder targets. I also have a feeling they'e not being taken care of up to our rat parent standards. The older boys at the rescue, though they are at a rescue, are really really well taken care of.
With the rescue boys, I wouldnt need to quarantine because they are healthy and see the vet. With the baby boys, the most quarantine I could do is keep them in a separate room of the house as far away from the other rats as possible, as my quarantine person and I are no longer friends.

So what do you guys think? What would you choose?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
I would choose rescue and I would pick age based on your mischief. Mine is slowing down so more energy would throw the harmony to ****. But, I also have one girl a year younger than the others so my next adoption would likely be barely young -- to match my youngest age.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never adopted from this rescue before, the only things Im worried about is that I wont be qualified to adopt. I dont have a spare cage, but I found a small bird cage on CL I was planning on getting to use as a holding cage while I do introductions. I have a hard time finding spare cages used in this area, and when I do people always want ridiculous amounts of money for them. But the bird cage is pretty small, I know its not big enough for 2 rats, but I was just going to basically use it as a place for them to sleep when Im not socializing and introducing them. So Im not sure if the rescue would approve of me keeping them in a cage thats too small, even if it is temporary. Im also worried the rescue wont approve of my free range room, since its just by bedroom and theres all kinds of stuff everywhere. For the most part I try to keep things up and away from them, but Ive still got furniture and possessions in there. I dont leave them unattended in the room and I stop anyone from doing anything bad, but I just dont know if they will think its a hazardous room since its not completely cleared out like a rat room should be.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Yale road? Just give the dimensions of your main cage. If you're skipping quarantine you could maybe have them together by day two or three.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
I think it all depends on the particular rats you are adopting in terms of health and personality. Until you see and handle the rats you can't make any meaningful decisions.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
With all my rats, I never got to know them before adopting them. I just went and picked them up and took them home, which probably wasnt the best, but it worked out in the end. Im not really picky about personality, some of my rats are really shy, some like to bully others and cause trouble, and then there's Naydeen whos a case of her own and will never leave me alone. So Im not really concerned with choosing a particular rat in terms of personality, really any rat is fine with me and I'm willing to do whatever it takes to work with them. Mainly its just about health and who needs a home more, but Im even willing to take in sickly rats if they arent being taken care of.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts