Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! We've finally decided that we're getting 2 rats at the end of July! I want to learn all I can about the little cuties, so any help is wonderful!!! Also, what are the different breeds? ((a link perhaps?)) I want to get the one best for us!!! Thanks in advance!!! :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Congrats on getting new babies :D
I'm 99.9% sure that there are only different rat varieties, not different breeds. But different rats do have different personalities. If you can, try to spend some time with the ones you are choosing between to figure out which ones you click with. To look at different colors and markings you can look here Also, if you pm me I can send you a link to the site I did as a school project. It explains how to care for your rats and has some links to places you can look for food, treats, toys and cages.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you darkdesires814!!!! I will PM you!! ;) I can't wait to have them! They'll be my 1st ratties. I'm quite excited. :D

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a question, should I get males or females? I've been reading alot of the posts on the forum regarding the subject, but I still can't decide. I want females on one hand because I don't want marking, and the male's...well private areas bother me ((although I could always get a male fixed)) which brings me to my other hand...I could in fact get a male fixed, because as far as personality goes, I really want a rat who will like to be held, cuddled, etc...but in reading these posts I see that females can be this way as well, it all depends on personality. I'm confused, as you can see. :p Plus all my pets are females((3 dogs)), which in one sense could be good for me to have more females, but then again, it'd be nice to be able to say "my girls" and refer to my dogs, and "my boys" and refer to my rats. lol! And my friends have already told me I MUST name them Henry and Papa Smurf. lololol!!! But that's not an issue, as I'm sure I can come up with some cute female names too. Please post your opinion, and if there are any questions I need to answer that would better pair me with a different gender, please ask. Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
get both then. if you can afford to have a male fixed then get a girl and get a male fixed. solves your problem completely! that way you don't have to choose. how many are you planing on getting?

but from what you said it would seem you have already decided. from what i can tell it seems you've already chosen males.

in either case make sure you get lots of pictures for us to coo over. you're in for a blast!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
I think you've pretty much answered your own question, really. Generally, boys are more squishy and more "lap rats", girls are more active and less cuddly. However, some girl rats are squishy, some boy rats are more playful. Some girl rats will scent mark, too. There are really no guarantees.

I think your best way to decide is to go to wherever you intend to purchase/adopt your rats and see which stand out to you. Put your hand in and see if any come to you, watch them for a while, etc.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to you both!!! I really wanted a female to be honest, but after reading all this about the males, they started standing out more, their personalities seemed more of what I was looking for. But DonnaK, I will pick them out by their personalitys, and like you said, see which ones come up to me, and seem like they'd be a good fit, and then whatever gender they are, I'll go with that!! Does anyone know the general cost to spay/neuter a rat in the US? If it needs to be done, I'll do it, but I'd like to know how much I'd need. ;) THANKS AGAIN!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts