Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i've finally decided I can afford to get my girl spayed cuz she is seriously a nutball lol she's so manic when she's in heat and it doesn't help that she lives with 2 males and it drives her nuts! there's so many behaviors she does that I just know will be so much calmer and better when her hormones aren't psychotic! lol but it's so ridiculously expensive for a girl since it's an invasive surgery that I just didn't know if I could afford it but i've been saving up money at my new job. I literally called 20 places for quotes on prices. Of course, only like 7 or 8 places would even be willing to do it since it's slightly dangerous. Even her current vet wouldn't do it so I have to take her to a random vet I don't even know. The highest quote I got was $600. But luckily in the end I found a great well known vet who was willing to do it for $150 total price after exam fee and her overnight stay included. It's about as cheap as I ever expected to find for a girl. i paid 60 for each of my boys and that was the absolute cheapest I could find as well, twice as cheap as anywhere else.

How does 150 compare to those who have gotten your girls spayed? I am curious on how much you have paid and whether you tried hard to find a good price or just paid whatever the first vet told you? Also how long can I expect her recovery to be? What if she chews on the incision? I have a feeling she will. my boys never touched theirs. Do I just wrap her up all crazy with gauze or something? lol and how do you do that without covering her urethra so she can still pee? weird questions but I want to know what to expect. Also I should expect to house her separately from the boys probably huh? Or they may chew her incisions?

·
Registered
863 Posts
I live in Fort Lauderdale and I was just quoted $140 for a spay by a veterinarian who specializes in rats. That price includes the exam fee and follow-up visit.

I've never had a spayed rat before, but I'm tired of dealing with tumors and I'd rather pay up front for a spay than pay for tumor removal down the line.

I noticed there's not a lot of info here regarding spaying, so if you decide to go for it, please share your experience!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I live in the Dallas area. I only have boys and my fantastic rattie vet charges $80 per neuter. I believe when I asked her last year about spays, she said it was $120 due to the spay being a more invasive/complicated procedure. These rates do not include the meds to take home post surgery. That all being said, I feel your quote of $150 is not unreasonable.

I have both of my current boys neutered--I rescued them last year from the local animal shelter (near the end of my previous two un-neutered boys' lives) and had them neutered after treating for the lice they came home with. These guys seem much healthier than my previous un-neutered guys who ended up losing their battle with tumors and respiratory issues. I am a fan of spaying and neutering ratties after reading up on all the medical problems they can help avoid!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts