Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My two boy rats recently broke out with severe sneezing and one of them wheezing and chirping and showing some lethargy. I have taken them to the vet and they are on Baytril twice a day. I have also been giving them Nutrical to boost their system. I am seeing LOTS of improvements and their breathing sounds good now.
My question is once I get them back to good health, eliminate sneezing, etc, is it okay to get new rats to join them?

My husband and I are currently constructing a large grotto cage and I had planned to add a couple more boys to the crew. I know that for the most part ALL rats carry myco., and I assume this was a flare up of it for my boys. I got them at a petshop - first mistake. I did, however, get them straight from the petshop's quarantine. I figure maybe the stress of the change, new bedding, etc. may have caused the flare-up. Anyway, is it wrong to get new rats once i nurse these guys back to health? I don't want to be irresponsible.
I would hate to not be able to get anymore rats for the remainder of these little guys' lives. I have only had them for 3 weeks and they are quite young! But health above all else...just confused on the subject and would like some clarification.

Thanks for any advice on the matter!
Christina

PS - Here are my boys! Quimby (b/w) and Brewster (beige/w)

Attachments

·
Registered
133 Posts
As far as I know, once they're healthy again, you can start shopping for new rats, just be sure to quarantine the new ones for at least a couple weeks before putting them in with these boys!
Cute pic, by the way! :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts