Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I looked into adopting 2 young rats to join our two senior rats last month, I wanted to go through our local rescue. When we decided it was a good time to adopt the two young ones, we contacted the rescue (this was December, last month) and filled out an online adoption form and sent it in. No one replied. It was near the holidays so I shrugged it off since I know that can be a hectic time for anyone, and I had heard about a hoarding case they were handling, so I figured they were busy. Luckily, they work with a couple pet shops who sell only shelter animals, so we just went to the shops to look at the rats they had for adoption from the rescue. We picked the last two little girls there, and filled out a second adoption form that was to be sent to the rescue by the shop.

In our adoption paperwork, they said if the rats get sick within a certain ammount of time, to let them know and they will take care of it. Two days later, one of the girls started getting snuffly. I emailed the rescue again, and again no one replied. I again gave myself the excuse of the holidays and the hoarding case, and mixed up a batch of amoxicillin that I have in my rat first aid kit, and gave it to her. She was better for the time she was on the meds, but then got snuffly again. This time I sent a message through the rescue's facebook page, and asked what was the best way to contact them since no one had responded to the other two seperate email addresses to anything I've sent. Someone replied through facebook and apologized and was friendly and gave me some extra info, so I wasn't mad yet still. They said they could give me a packet of doxycycline and that one of their people would be nearby me the next day doing some work for the rescue. I told them that I had to work in the afternoon so the latest I could pick it up would be 12 noon.

So I left a message with them on facebook the night before. The next day I called the person to let them know I'm driving to the city where we agreed to meet (about 20 minutes away from me). No one answered so I left a voicemail and a text message. I get to the city, and I call them again. Again no answer. I wait around for almost 2 hours after I had again called and left a voicemail and another text message. Finally I have to leave in order to get to work on time.. I messaged them on facebook later that night asking them what happeend and get a huffy reply from the person who flaked out on our meeting about how she was busy and unable to answer her phone. I sent a message the night before and had called/texted about it... I realized that we didn't set an exact time to meet, but it was afreed for definitely BEFORE 12 noon. By then, I was pretty irritated but didn't get upset in my replies yet.... She offered no real apology or way to fix the issue and ignored the messages I sent after asking about what we could do to get the doxy to my new girl. After a day of no replies, then I added "can you maybe mail it to me if it's easier for you?" She said yes, and I gave the address.

It's been over a week now, and we haven't gotten the medicine in the mail yet.. I've sent them a message every day for the last 3 days asking if anyone has mailed me the medicine yet like they said they were going to. Since I've been sending the messages on facebook, it tells me that the messages I've been sending have been seen and read, but no one will reply to me.. I'm getting really angry about this. What if this new rat had a more serious issue? What if these weren't just the "new home snuffles"? What if it was contagious and my whole group ended up catching it? It's been almost a month now since we adopted these two girls. Luckily, I think it WAS just the new home snuffles as the symptoms are gone now, but it's the principle of the issue that's really making me mad.. How can a rescue be so flaky, rude, and irresponsible, and not follow through with their promises in their adoption documents I signed and payed for?? I really want to support a local rescue for ratties and other small animals that are so often overlooked, but the people running it are making me feel really bad towards supporting it.

I think from now one whenever I want to rescue a rat, I'll just buy from a feeder bin where I feel the rat's life is actually being saved from something.

I'm getting very close to sending them a message asking if I should just take her to the vet and send them the bill for the visit and medication.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Ugh, I'm so sorry to hear you've had this experience. Reading this made me really mad. They sound extremely flaky and irresponsible indeed. How do they expect to help animals if they behave this rudely? It could be that this rescue you dealt with is not what it seems, a group of posers trying to make themselves look good, and once the rats are adopted out they are ignored and forgotten, "out of sight, out of mind." :( I've tried to get involved in animal volunteer work before, and the people were so **** flaky that I didn't even get to become involved (I'm sure that not every volunteer organization is like that, but that sounds like a common story).

Sadly, if you take the rat to the vet, you will get much faster results, but based on my experiences with flaky people, I doubt that the rescue will pay for it (at least, not until after a Herculean struggle on your part). I'm so sorry.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes it's very frustrating! They finally responded this afternoon and said that they mailed the doxy on the 12th but they will mail me another one since it "seems like it got lost" which to me just sounds like a lie and they never actually mailed it and were just trying to make it sound like they did.

I wonder if they ever did/will mail it at all! I also of course asked them to include mixing and dosage instructions twice, but we'll see if they do that.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I will never understand how people can have such a blatant disregard for other people's time. I have encountered so many flaky people in my attempts to rehome rescue litters that I've gotten to the point where if they don't text me that they're on their way to the meeting point BEFORE I leave my side of town I will find another adopter for their rat. I tell them this upfront, so if they flake and then still want to adopt, it's on them and not just me being a bitch lol. If I can't count on someone to keep their word on a meeting time, how can I trust them to take care of my babies?

·
Registered
171 Posts
It just seems like flakiness has become a really common problem these days, particularly with people of my generation and younger... were we just not raised to respect people's time? I've gotten pretty bitter myself after many experiences with flaky people. It seems to be linked with the modern-day cultural obsession with staying "busy" all the time (when often, it's not clear exactly what is keeping these flaky people so "busy" that they can't text someone or keep an appointment.) I've had people act like they're too busy to be my friend anymore, among other things. I've adopted the attitude that if you (general "you") don't have time for me, then I don't have time to deal with you either. The asking potential adopters to text that they're on their way before meeting is a good call in this day and age of flaky people.

Regarding the message about the doxy, it also sounds to me like they're lying to cover their rear ends. If they never bother to mail it or respond again, it even sounds like a matter you could take them to small claims court over. I wonder if there's any way to file a complaint about an animal rescue...?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Regarding the message about the doxy, it also sounds to me like they're lying to cover their rear ends. If they never bother to mail it or respond again, it even sounds like a matter you could take them to small claims court over. I wonder if there's any way to file a complaint about an animal rescue...?
It is technically a legal contract that you sign when you adopt and if the contract mentions that they agree to take care of illnesses, then you could probably take them to court for it. Honestly though, it'd probably be a waste of time and money just for a bit of doxy lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts