Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am hoping to get Rocco fixed in a few weeks. I am not concerned about the procedure, but how he will act after. I like him how he is. I know people often get their rats "fixed" when they are having aggression issues. Rocco doesn't have those, he is actually pretty submissive. Anymore submissive and my girls might very well hurt him. So what will he be like after his neuter?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Remus didn't change nor his two sons who were only neutered to live with females.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I don't have a lot of money at the moment. I let someone borrow a good chunk of money, and my car broke down. So I am in a tight situation money wise. But thank you for the advice. My girls are 18 months and really have slowed down. I don't know how they would handle being spayed. Has anyone spayed an older rat? So some rats personalities change and others don't? That makes sense. I am just super worried about it.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
if a rat lacks self confidence (not necessarily a submissive rat) then neutering can actually make them worse. It can really knock there confidence and make them more uncertain. With time and support you can build them back up again in most cases. Unless you know the rat very well it can be hard to tell and even if you do you can make mistakes. i will say though that boys that lack self confidence do a lot better with a hareem of ladies.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
if a rat lacks self confidence (not necessarily a submissive rat) then neutering can actually make them worse. It can really knock there confidence and make them more uncertain. With time and support you can build them back up again in most cases. Unless you know the rat very well it can be hard to tell and even if you do you can make mistakes. i will say though that boys that lack self confidence do a lot better with a hareem of ladies.
that is exactly what I am worried about. How can I help build his confidence with them?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
i don't suppose getting him a neutered make friend to live for a few months with is possible. Then you can give him a few months to grow into himself abd a friend to be introed with which will make it easier on him

how old is he?

·
Registered
222 Posts
He'll be fine. Neutering doesn't change personality itself, it more levels the playing field when hormones get out of control. Neutered boys are very happy to live with girlies, generally. Just remember to keep him separate from the ladies for at least 2-3 weeks post-neuter to ensure infertility.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't really know how old he is. I am guessing he was about 4-5 weeks when I got him. So maybe 6 or 7 weeks? I don't really want a 4th rat. Seems too much for me personally. I can see about fostering a male to be his friend.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
" i will say though that boys that lack self confidence do a lot better with a hareem of ladies." I misread this part sorry. So you think he will be fine even with his confidence getting knocked down a bit more? The girls are extremely close and bossy. I just don't want him to get hurt. I blow off most their fights as just putting him in his place.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I don't really know how old he is. I am guessing he was about 4-5 weeks when I got him. So maybe 6 or 7 weeks? I don't really want a 4th rat. Seems too much for me personally. I can see about fostering a male to be his friend.
he's only a baby meaning at that age his hormones aren't influencing his behaviour. However he's very young to be castrated abd is harsh to keep him alone for so long. If you can get him a friend abd leave neutering to around 6 months old that would be ideal. 4 months if you really need to. It would be better to get a similar aged friend which would be hard to foster. i would try and put his meds first especially as you've got him because i guess you want a mixed sex group for your own benefit

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh I have a question! Why is waiting until he is 6 month best? I thought I was suppose to neuter him before his hormones kick in? I don't care for mixed sex. He was just the one I bonded with, and I read neutered boys are better for bossy girls. So it's why I settled on a boy. I knew my vet did neutering at a young age because of Wilder. I didn't think Rocco would be alone for so long.

·
Registered
953 Posts
males can be fertile at 5 weeks, so hormones are already kicking in by then. They are going through a very heavy growth spurt however up to about 6 months. Adding a surgery recovery is probably stressful on the body which is already working very hard. Hormone changes most likely occur rather heavily between 5 weeks and 6 months as well.

I would think there would be pro's and cons to early neutering. I haven't looked at rats in particular, but as a guess-pro's would be less testosterone type aggression. Probably less urine marking. Unable to reproduce (therefore getting him in with the girls sooner). eliminates possible testicular cancer. Cons would be things like-possible weight gain issues, slight increase in bone issues, hormonal issues-thyroid, adrenal ect, urinary track issues.

Those are my logical guesses from my knowledge of ferrets. You probably just need weigh out the pro's and con's, and look into it more than my guesses of course. :)

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Gotchea, If your girls are already 18 months old, and you are looking at them having an average life span of about 24 to 27 you are going to wind up with a very lonely neutered boy who may not grow to his full size because he was neutered too young to find a friend for sooner rather than later... (It's amazing how fast time flies for rats) Perhaps you would then need to consider another girl or neutered boy? And you will need to do intros...

If he had a male friend, he should be set for a couple of years without the neuter... It's your call for sure, but think this through in terms of a plan... For example every year one rat fades out and dies and we replace one rat... Max is starting to get tumors at only 15 months so we might actually be replacing two rats this year, as we adopted Cloud in spring. In any case she's most likely going to be gone early next year. One girl growing up and one girl aging out is our particular treadmill... This would be a good time to plan how your mischief will evolve.

If you are planning to switch your mischief from girls to boys... well no real advise, but something to consider before you alter Rocco before he's fully grown.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Boy everything is so difficult with rats. I really dont want a fourth. I got him because of the situation. when my girls pass, I was going to get another(since he was going to get neutered girl or boy wouldnt matter) or foster. If I knew it was going to be a problem getting him fixed... Ugh Welp. I'll think about all this and see what my vet says and go from there.

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Gotchea,

Remember rats are supposed to be fun! Take some time and just play with them... Relax and everything will just come together in your mind and you will do the right thing... Its great to know your options and to get advise, but in the end don't let it all drive you into distress... I mean if you really over-thought every possibility of everything that could go wrong you never would have picked up Wilder from where you found him.

You'll know the right thing to do when you relax and stop stressing over it...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts