Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cage that has plastic shelves with grooves running around the outside - link with picture below
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/pet-guys_1987_1175640
I have my two boys in it right now because they are lazy and don't need as much space as my girls. The problem is that their pee gets caught in the grooves (they seem to like going on the top shelf the most, right outside their hammock) and the cage is starting to smell, even after I've just washed it. What is the best way of getting rid of the smell? I also have to be able to do it in my bathroom since I don't have a yard to wash it out in. Thanks

·
Registered
240 Posts
Plastic tends to absorb smells. I use a cage cleaning spray every few days and then every two weeks I disassemble everything and wash it in the tub. My husband has suggested washing the plastic parts in a very light bleach solution but I am worried about the safety of that, so maybe someone else knows if that would be okay?

My shelves have the ridges on the edges too and I just make sure to scrub with a sponge into the grove so nothing stays there.

Also, when I had my cage right next to the wall, their pee got on the wall and I didn't notice it right away. Make sure after you clean the cage you also vacuum the floor, wash the table, etc. Whatever is around your cage.

Unfortunately, usually pets just smell. :) We do too but we're used to it :) I think my rats actually smell nice themselves, it's just their pee lol.

Good luck!

·
Registered
421 Posts
I soak all my plastic stuff in the vinegar/peroxide solution, and than afterwards it is scrubbed with antibacterial dish soap...Always seems to rid of the smells for me...

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
jesirose said:
My husband has suggested washing the plastic parts in a very light bleach solution but I am worried about the safety of that, so maybe someone else knows if that would be okay?
The stronger of the two formulas here should be used outside with good ventilation.

Dilution instructions for bleach sanitizer:

1:10 dilution:
Use after cleaning surfaces soiled by
faeces, vomitus

2 tbsp (30 ml) bleach in 1 cup (250 ml) water
Or
2 cups (500 ml) bleach in 1 gallon (4 L) water

1:100 dilution:
Use for sanitizing commonly-touched surfaces
(handrails, doorknobs, light switches, etc.)

½ tsp (3 ml) bleach in 1 cup (250 ml) water
Or
¼ cup (50 ml) bleach in 1 gallon (4 L) water

·
Registered
974 Posts
I have found that the method brand all purpose cleaner (found at Target or online) works wonders for getting smells out of plastic. Even my plastic PVC pipe absorbs smells and this stuff gets it smell out and doesn't just try to cover it. I spray it down and then wait about 10 min and then wipe it clean. sometimes I have to get a q tip to get into the little groves, but it cleans up nicely with this cleaner.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Toss it in the dishwasher?!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts