Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be getting 2 rats soon; I have been reading up a lot about them to get a basic idea of what I should expect. I recently came across this forum, and everyone seems very nice and helpful, so I figured I would post a thread asking for advice. I would like to know about the behavior of males and females, because I am having a hard time deciding which gender I want. I want to make sure I know how to take care of them ahead of time. I would appreciate any feedback. Thank you so much!

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
i had two males, one was extremely calm (wouldnt move) the other would jump 50 feet! they were both sick (mites and green mushy poop). now i have 2 females who are hyper, curious, like eating, hate baths. with females you dont need to worry about buck grease (an orangish flake stuff) near their bums, and wont have the genitals rubbing on your arm (i didnt really mind that, some people do) females do stay smaller but are more energetic so need more room (something to think about with cage size) both genders need toys, hammocks, treats, and love! good luck and cong-RAT-ulations on your not bought yet rats!

·
Registered
527 Posts
in general..

girls: more active, more mischievous, learn tricks more easily, more prone to tumours (about 75% of them get tumours :( )

boys: lazier, bigger, coarser fur, more likely to be mellow lap/shoulder rats

but you have to remeber all ratties are different, and in the end its your own preference that matters! :wink:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Rat_rascal.. wish you hadn't said that about the genitals rubbing on your arm...never even thought of that before lol don't really mind though, just a weird thought!!

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
okay, i really want to get females, but since you said that 75% of them get tumors, i guess maybe i shouldnt.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
IrishRat said:
Rat_rascal.. wish you hadn't said that about the genitals rubbing on your arm...never even thought of that before lol don't really mind though, just a weird thought!!
i never thought of it either, until my friend said it

·
Registered
10 Posts
I love my two boys but if you get males be prepared to get marked with their urine when you handle them. This is the worst part about owning any male pets in my opinion. My rats love to walk across my hand or foot and leave little pee droplets on me.
Other than their love for marking with pee, as it has been said in the posts above, males are more likely to sit on your lap and just let you pet them until they fall asleep. Adorable. =]
Also I don't remember if you said where you were getting your rats but if you are getting them from a pet store, Petsmart only sells males whereas Petco sells both sexes, just so you know!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts