Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the petstore today (BIG mistake - I know)

It turns out that Ray and Taz's brothers are still there - the are now over 8 months old and nobody wants them because they are 'boring hoodeds'. It makes me SO sad to see them there - I'm trying to resist - but know it won't be long before they come home with me.

ANYWAY! Back on topic - The petstore had this gorgeous little Russian Blue left with them because the owner decided that they didn't want it any more. It started a head tilt one day and when it didn't 'miraculoulsly' get better - it was given to the pet shop.

Luckily, Beth - the pet shop head - owns her own rats etc so knew what to do. The little guy is now on Baytril but has a horribly tilted head when running around (it didn't appear to bother him while eating). She said she thinks that it's a stroke - but while I was there I noticed a significant amount of blood coming from inside his ear. Now THAT would indicate infection to me - right? Beth said it's because he scratches his ear so deep down - but even so, he wouldn't do that so savagly as to bleed unless it was painful in there?

So, as he's on his meds I was happy to leave him there. I'm going to go back next week and see how he is - if he's still there and depending on how he is, I'll bring him home (with a couple of the hoodeds no doubt!)

So the point of this -

*Does it sound like an infection to you guys? I didn't think strokes could JUST affect the head - his limb function is fine
*As it sounds like this 'infection' has been left for some time, the chances are that this head tilt will remain a perminant fixture. I've read that inner ear infections are a life long problem - once one had been had, the chances are higher of getting another later in life. Is this the case?

You guys know me enough by now to know that I don't care about shelling out for vet visits etc - I just wondered how much extra care he might need - as I want to ensure that I can provide it for the little guy

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jingles said:
infection.....most def...

why else would it dig in its ear.....if not sore and itchy
That was my initial thought - although I know inner ear infections and strokes can present similarily.

At least he's on Baytril - I'm just worried whether its enough. He should be on some form of anti-inflammatory also. I hope the lack of that right now (until I'm allowed to bring him home) won't aggrivate the situation

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Hopefully the baytril should help a lot. His tilt may also improve but not necessarily completely go away. If he's a baby or rather young (under a year ish) then I would say inner ear infection. The steroid helps the inflammation but you can use other things as well. He sounds wonderful and I am looking forward to greeting all 3 new members of your crew :D

With Brie (never a tilt), she had an ear infection that would flare up, I would treat and then a few months later it would flare up again. The bleeding is most likely the scratching, depends on how much blood there is. Trimming those hind nails could help, and a very very long course of meds will be necessary. Some rats will never get another inner ear infection again. Tilties as I lovingly call them learn to adapt to their tilted world quite well, you may need to modify a few things like hammies under shelves they may topple off of etc,. but mild Tilties just go thru life just fine. :D

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lilspaz68 said:
Hopefully the baytril should help a lot. His tilt may also improve but not necessarily completely go away. If he's a baby or rather young (under a year ish) then I would say inner ear infection. The steroid helps the inflammation but you can use other things as well. He sounds wonderful and I am looking forward to greeting all 3 new members of your crew :D

With Brie (never a tilt), she had an ear infection that would flare up, I would treat and then a few months later it would flare up again. The bleeding is most likely the scratching, depends on how much blood there is. Trimming those hind nails could help, and a very very long course of meds will be necessary. Some rats will never get another inner ear infection again. Tilties as I lovingly call them learn to adapt to their tilted world quite well, you may need to modify a few things like hammies under shelves they may topple off of etc,. but mild Tilties just go thru life just fine. :D
Ah, I was waiting for your words of wisdom :p

I was planning, actually, on arranging to pick him up just as his abs from the pet shop finish - and then continuing the baytril at home. I've only had one previous experience with Tilties (love that word) and he required a month of baytril before the vet was happy to stop.

This little guys head tilt is severe - I watched him eat and he seemed to manage fine, but running around he was running so tilted that one side of his face was almost pressed against the foor.

He appears to be youngish - from the condition of his coat and size - he's certainly not an old timer. Possibly 9-12 months (at a guess). That's another reason that I am infection vs stroke - he seemed too young.

There wasn't a LOT of blood - I've certainly seen more with ear bites. But it was significant enough to notice and was enough to coat the fur around his ear. Poor guy must really be going at his ear :(

Fingers crossed the little guy stays ok between now and the next time I see him

1 - 5 of 5 Posts