Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
any tips on fighting GGMR syndrom please hurry i will be going in a few hours to pet stores here and there looking for specfic animals
[ mainly reptiles ] and i don't want to get more rats
and the hard part is that i have about 6 extra cages 8O

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I don't even want to think about why they may be currently empty
<shudders>

but anyway... I recall many years ago when I was a clerk at a neighborhood convenience store a woman came in & gave us a photo of her husband & a signed note informing us & him if he came in to buy alcohol... that he was a recovering alcoholic & that she didn't want him buying this because it was killing him & ruining their marriage. I thought that was pretty powerful & I knew if I ever encountered him I would respect her wishes.

So... its kind of extreme but it just might stop you if you really have no self control... give the manager your pic with a note saying you suffer from GGMR & they are respectfully asked to not sell you rats.

I recalled this old story after reading Ration's note about getting more...

Or you could do what a lot of people have done & do... promise yourself that if you are going to save any at all, do it as rescues within the community. Ther are so many oops litters out there, people how can no longer keep there pets for whatever reason & so on. Or you will check with local shelters. DO anything besides buy more rats from retail sources.

Save a life rather than make a purchase.

Or, just accept that you are doomed & go out & buy them. Well, only if you are financially capable of properly caring for them & will offer them a safe & loving home for their entire lives.

Having a bunch of empty cages should never ever be the determining factor for getting pets. If having them around creates GGMR... get rid of the cages. Plenty of rat folk out there looking for suitable cages.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
If you don't want any more rats... don't get any more. A cute face in a store and an empty cage at home shouldn't be why you get another rat, especially since you know you have enough already.

Can you just avoid looking at the rats in the store?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay good news i didn't get anymore rats but i did get 2 more snakes :oops:
i just can't resist a $300 snake being sold for $100

·
Registered
221 Posts
Is it difficult keeping rats and snakes in the same home? Do people automatically assume that they are feeders? My cousin used to keep all sorts of reptiles and most of them were quite cool and very tame.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
it can be difficult people always assume the worst i have close to a dozen pet rats and close to a dozen snakes
and most of my snakes are really nice almost never bite

1 - 7 of 7 Posts