Rat Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a questions about my two new rats. They seem fine except that the one will occasionally have these giant poops! I think she/he (will discussin a minute) only does it when they are afraid or upset (did once today while playing with thier playmate), but if it is fear poops they are all squished together when they come out, like one giant piece. Is that normal or is it mega colon or something like that? Something in the food ( rat lab blocks and hammie mix till I get to the store for suebees ingredients) ? Also, lol, a quick question. I keep trying to decide if I have girls or boys. I thought they might be boys because of the distance between the organ and the anus and that the testicles might not have descended because they were too young yet, (4 ish weeks and maybe 5/6 weeksish) I asked the pet shop people and they said yes that was the case and that they were boys and that they were a "male only" store, but after looking at someone elses pics here, it should be ovious by now right? So maybe girls? Does the distance have anything to do with it? Like with hamsters? :lol: I have no idea, but we are figuring it out, :wink:

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Big poops can be common. With megacolon, there will be no elimination, as far as I'm aware, along with bloating and failure to thrive.

Males testes drop at around 4 weeks, though some drop a little later. In rare cases (see the 'undropped teste' thread) it can occur later. But yes, the distance has a lot to do with it. Females are much closer than males.
http://www.ratz.co.uk/sexingrats.html

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your great reply. :D that link was very helpful. So, umm, (looks sheepish) you mean, that lil thing I thought was a penis is accutally a bellybutton? :lol: I guess that shows how lil the store knows, maybe they meant to say female? I'm glad that my mega pooper is probably just fine, ^ ^. /sigh guess i need new names now,...

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If you're looking at the 5 week old pics, I think it's actually the urethra. :) They could ahve meant to say female. Or they could have been confused. Not uncommon with petstores.

If you wish, you could post pics of them and let some of the experienced folks here judge? :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been trying to take pics but they just don't wanna sit still, ><, I'll keep trying, I want baby pics anyways! Hopefully will post soon, :)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
The first one does look like a girl to my inexperienced eyes (I own all boys! :lol: )

1 - 9 of 9 Posts