Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I do have 2 girls and I was reading up on some forms about there temper but what I couldn't find and was really curious about is when I bring home more girls are they more likely to fight with each other than boy rats are? I was thinking since girls aren't as territorial towards others as much as boys are they wouldn't be and I'm really worried about being home new rats. And tips or suggestions? Please and thanks you!

·
Registered
94 Posts
I do not believe males fight very much if properly introduced in the first place. I'm sure females will get along fine though. Have a nice day!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I only have males, but I think it's supposed to be easier to introduce female rats. Males can be hormonal and that can make them aggressive. Remember not to just throw them all in the cage together immediately! Make sure they meet in a neutral area like a bathtub. If they get a little rough, you can fill the bathtub with just enough water so they will be distracted. You can also rub vanilla extract or yogurt on them so they won't smell strongly to each other, and they might bond by licking yogurt off of each other. I wouldn't worry too much.

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Every rat has their own unique personality. Some are going to be chill others are going to be jerks lol and most fall somewhere inbetween :)

That being said, there is a point in males lives where they CAN become hormonal and aggressive. Neutering can fix the issue. I find boys far more difficult and frustrating then girls.

But girls? There is always that weird rat but from my experience girls are usually laid back and chill with each other. Usually girls get along fine with each other. There may be some bickering when first introduced but usually they are quite easy to introduce.

Any rat can be a butthead though. But do proper introductions and it should be quite smooth. Keep multiple beds, hammocks, water bottles and food dishes help alot with territorial issues as well as having a proper sized cage.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Introduce on neutral ground (somewhere they don't usually get to go like a bathtub or bathroom, etc. not in the cage)... Thuroughly clean the cage beforehand so it doesn't smell like home turf. Also, introducing slightly younger rats to older ones seems to help... This is even true with males. When I introduce males to weaned pups, they don't see the pups as a "threat" like they might a male similar in size to them. I've never had a problem introducing females either.

Also do proper quarantine first!

·
Banned
6,244 Posts
Some girls will defend their homes from other female invaders, but most work it out eventually... That said girls will always squabble a bit whereas boys tend to have a more rigid social order once they get through intros. With girls, I've had intros take as little as 5 minutes and up to three weeks of the rats tearing the house apart chasing each other... But like I said, they do seem to get through it.

Best luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts