Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I am taking in a rat who had to be given up because he just could not get along with any other rats. He lived in a house with no female rats, and from what his mommy told me, was slowly and properly introduced to 4 different other males with no success. I am planning on getting him neutered, since I know a vet who has experience with rats, so I can try introducing him to my girls. But if it doesn't work, and he for some reason just can't live with other rats, I still want him to have the best life possible.

I have oodles of time to spend with him (as in, all day every day, except while I'm spending time with the girls) and I don't go anywhere I wouldn't be able to take him with, except maybe some stores if I can't keep him hidden. He will have a nice big cage (Ratz R Us calculator says it's big enough for 7 max) to stay in when he can't be out that I will fill to the brim with stuff for him, to keep him occupied. But other than those things, are there any suggestions on what I could do to make sure he still has a good and happy life? I know some people here do have single rats, so I would appreciate suggestions.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Firstly, I wouldn't doubt that after a neuter he should be much less 'rat-aggressive' especially with females. But if did come down to that, it does sound like you have the right idea, spend as much time as possible with him, so he doesn't go stir-crazy alone. :lol:

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Sounds like a great plan, especially trying the neuter first before giving him a lone rat's life. *thumbsup*. I would be very very surprised if the neuter doesn't work and he can have a harem of girls to boss him around afterwards. :)

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
ask holly, she has a single rattie...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts