Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My girls do not have the large ferret cage my boys have so I attached two cages together for them using hardware cloth as a tunnel and I also added a tunnel they can climb up using the hardware cloth. They love it and constantly run back and forth, stash food, climb and jump, etc.

I already have the main space of my floor in my room for them to play in but I made a ramp attached to the boys cage leading down to my dresser. I moved my dresser closer to the cage to do this. They can play on top of it when they want to during the day because I leave one of their cage doors open during playtime. I have a shallow "pool" with some cut up veggies in it to try to get. Only Pip will stay in the water but none of my rats will try and get the small pieces of veggies.

Most days when I am not playing with them I will leave the doors of the boys' cage open for them to free roam during the day. Then at night they are pretty tired and I let the girls play for a while as they get especially hyper at night. (I also take them out a couple times during the day.) Pip was getting out and I kept finding him in my bottom drawer of my dresser so.....since I don't need the extra drawer I put an old towel and some treats he had stashed in another drawer in there and he can go in when he wants. He can't go into any of the other drawers so I just leave the bottom drawer a little open for light but when it is mostly closed he feels safe.

I am constantly trying to find ways to let them play as long as possible in as much space as possible.

By the way Pip is about 9 weeks now and his fuzzy baby hair is almost all shedded out except on his head. The rest of his body is sleek and shiny. :) I'm pretty sure this is normal....

I always seem to go on about my ratties way too long....sorry....I just can't help it :D

·
Registered
489 Posts
that sounds niceeee. they must love it.

i wish i could do that but Marie Antoinette is too big of a trouble maker. i dont trust her. But Coco And Victoria would be well behaved.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah....my girls are so hyper that I let them out at night and at all times thye must be supervised or it is a pain to find them. My boys are more relaxed and come out of their hidign spots when I come in the room :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
chrisstrikeagain said:
that sounds niceeee. they must love it.

i wish i could do that but Marie Antoinette is too big of a trouble maker. i dont trust her. But Coco And Victoria would be well behaved.
I'm totally with you there. My Spice is calm and sweet, most of the time when I have them in free roam she just wants to cuddle on my lap. Sugar, on the other hand, is constantly looking for things to eat that she shouldn't (even if I think I have gotten everything with the vacuum, she finds something) or looking for a way to escape. I think their previous owner got their names backwards!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts