Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've seen that most everyone here has a wire cage. I know they have advantages like more climbing area and air flow, but I was planning on using a 40 gallon breeder tank. I had an idea to take these things i have laying around from old cages ( they look like the top of this cage http://www.dkimages.com/discover/previews/743/145718.JPG ) and attaching two of them on top of each other and then attaching that to the screen top of the tank. Of course I would cut holes so they could access it and all that. Its hard to explain but hopefully that made sense lol. I figured this would help add space and ventilation. If I did this, and added lots of climbing things and levels within the tank, that it would be adequate to house 2 rats?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Aquariums aren't any good unless they're absolutely huge (as far as I know, 40 gallons isn't big enough, not even 60 gallons were touted as being big enough, but maybe someone else can chime in) and you are very dedicated to spot cleaning several times a day. There isn't enough ventilation, and rats have very delicate respiratory systems- the urine build up is very bad for them, and an aquarium traps it inside.

Levels and places to climb are good, but I don't think that a 40 gallon is big enough to allow for proper ventilation. For the health of your rats, a wire cage is a much better solution.

·
Registered
997 Posts
yeah...no.
Tanks just are not okay to house your pets.

IHMO, they are waaaaayyyyy too much work. It's just not worth it. At all.

·
Registered
184 Posts
when I only had 2 boys, i used a 10 gallon tank, and a cage topper (granted they knew how to escape anyways, so they were only in thier cage to eat/drink/sleep :|)

had to be cleaned 3 times a week, so they wouldnt get a respitory infection

so unless u got lots of time on your hands, dont do it ^^

1 - 4 of 4 Posts