Rat Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in desperate need of some help, otherwise my rats are going to be roaming all over the house.
They started chewing at the corners, so I put house bricks in each corner. Now they are chewing above the bloody bricks! They have successfully made a hole, but fortunately not big enough for them to fit through. However, after another two/three days they will have succeeded in escaping.
What can I do to stop them?
xxxxxxx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a Jenny cage.
No, no pictures. It's just a generally gnawing of plastic. No idea how they manage it having suc big noses the little buggers lol
xxxxxxx

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No not the chrome. They're chewing the plastic base. And are making a bloody good job of it too :(
xxxxxxx

·
Registered
407 Posts
From what I understand, some rats are just 'chew-y' in that way. As I said, none of mine are so Ive not dealt with it.
But there are so many wonderful people on here and their knowledge is a great resource. Im sure one will post something helpful to you quite soon!

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Sounds like you need a metal base cage or a cage similar to the Martin's cages where the wire cage drops down into a very hard plastic base...no yummy corners to eat through.

Post a pic of your cage for us so we can see possible answers for you?

**edited to add...gotta love Google!!

OK, my advice right now to not have escapees is measure the base of your cage (the wire), go to a hardware store or a big department store and get a plastic flat container (remove lid) that your cage can sit into...they won't be able to chew the flat bottom and the wire will stop them from getting the sides.

Found this link so you get the idea...

http://www.worldofrats.com/ROUSCageBuilding.html

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've been looking at other cages with metal bases. I can afford it and it would just be better for them in the long run.
Thanks for the ideas though.
I may have to consider the last idea for the time being lol.
Thanks again guys
xxxxxxx

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I was just thinking that also maybe you could cover the plastic part with hardware cloth. When they chew through and see that they still can't get out that way, maybe they'll stop chewing. At least they won't escape, and it'll buy you time :)

·
Registered
192 Posts
Metal cage with metal tray... It seems all rats will eventally start chewing something and won't stop until it is gone. The more you try to stop it, the more fun the rat has trying to get around your attempts.

The best way to get a rat to stop doing something is to let him do it, then he will get tired of it and stop. To do that, you need an all metal cage.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Mana said:
maybe they'll stop chewing.
LOL. never in a million, if my rats have anything to say about all this, lol. :) but you seem to have good suggestions so far, just thought i'd add my two cents: maybe for the time being you can give them something more entertaining to chew on? try whole nuts like walnuts (took mine 2 days to figure it out) or "hamsteroids" from petco, maybe wooden blocks, spiral pasta (if it's not already in their food), or mardi gras beads (mine go crazy for a good mardi gras string to gnaw on), etc. this can at least keep them busy for a few days while you house-shop for them.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I was just wondering , do you have chew blocks or lab blocks in your cage ? If you havent maybe a lab block would be a tastier alternative to your cage , and they might give up on the plastic.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts