Rat Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my rats, Nina, has a habit of gnawing on the bars of the cage. Really trying to chew them up, and making a loud ordeal out of it. Is there some way to discourage this behavior? They have blocks and sticks available to chew, so I'm not sure why she's been doing this. Glee doesn't chew on the bars--just Nina. Is there maybe something safe to put on the bars to discourage chewing?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
soot & ash do the same thing, but i think its because the little girls cage is right next to theirs and they are desperate to get in there and play...

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
One of my girls, Max, will do it until in the middle of the night to wake me up. She'll really go at it until I wake up and pop my finger in the cage for her to rub against and lick (her cage is propped up on a toolbox next to my sofabed lol)

However, Lily also does it for no apparent reason, as none of her 3 sisters who live with her do it. Have you tried draping a towel over the cage at night? Maybe that might discourage it?

·
Registered
549 Posts
If you cover the cage make sure its with something you don't care too much about. It will be pulled into the cage and destroyed ;-) I don't really know about the chewing, does she have other stuff to chew on?

They make stuff called Fooey to keep dogs, rabbits and I think guinea pigs from chewing on stuff, not sure if it would work on that large of an area though. Also I don't think I would put any thing on the bars, the would touch the bars with their paws and then it could get rubbed in their eyes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now that you mention it, she might be doing it to get me to play with them. They both get excited and run over when they see it's woken me up. Unfortunately, I do need to sleep once in a while... maybe I'll try that towel thing so they can't tell when I'm moving around. At least it will keep them busy with something. I'll also put in some different stuff for them to chew--maybe Nina doesn't like what she has now.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Katie said:
Now that you mention it, she might be doing it to get me to play with them. They both get excited and run over when they see it's woken me up. Unfortunately, I do need to sleep once in a while... maybe I'll try that towel thing so they can't tell when I'm moving around. At least it will keep them busy with something. I'll also put in some different stuff for them to chew--maybe Nina doesn't like what she has now.
often the reason they dont chew on chew toys isnt because they dont want to chew, its because they dont like what they've been given!lol such spoilt things

·
Registered
330 Posts
Katie said:
often the reason they dont chew on chew toys isnt because they dont want to chew, its because they dont like what they've been given!lol such spoilt things

·
Registered
520 Posts
Bitter Apple?

Although, I have heard that some rats like it...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts