Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I first got them a week and a half ago, Gohma was much skinnier than Dust. Now she's much fatter, and I could be wrong, but I think her nipples are starting to show, too. I have no idea how far along she is, if she is pregnant, but I read that it becomes most obvious during the last week, so perhaps a week from now she'll have babies...

I have three questions.

1. How soon should I separate her from Dust? Is it safe to wait until only a few days before she has babies, or should I separate them now? They're not fighting or anything, and they're still playing and sleeping together.

2. They're living in a martin's r-690... Obviously you have to be cautious and take out the extra levels of the cage when babies are around, but I was wondering if I could simply block off the two floors, so they couldn't get to each other...?

Dust could live in the top level and Gohma could live in the bottom level. If I did that do you think Gohma would crawl up the sides of the cage and try to bite Dust through the bars? She's not a mean rat, but I know being a mother can change them...

and 3. I'm worried about how Dust will feel about this. I think she'll get depressed when I separate them. Will it still be ok to let them have play time together outside of the cage?

edit:
I'm so sorry... I just realized I accidentally posted this in the wrong forum. Feel free to move it. n_n;;

·
Registered
393 Posts
Where did you get them from?

1. It's fine to separate a few days before.

2. That might work... I'd feel safer using a 20 gallon tank myself just because I know for sure the babies couldn't get hurt in one.

3. It would definitely be fine for them to have play time outside. After mom has the babies she'll want breaks from them and should be allowed to roam for a bit and have free time just like before she had them. She can roam around with Dust for a while before being put back with the babies to feed them.

Here's some stuff to get you prepared if she is pregnant: http://www.petinfopackets.com/rats/ratinfopacket.html#genderandbreeding

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I got them from a local pet store. I think they're local anyways, because I haven't seen them anywhere else except in Virginia. It's a place called Creatures and Critters.

Sorry. I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. n_n;;

1 - 3 of 3 Posts