Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I found an add for a male rat on craigs list, and decided that I'm going to get him. The lady who has him now rescued him a few weeks ago from a friend who was keeping him alone, in a ten gallon tank in their garage. I was told they also had a drug problem. He's been seen by a vet and is healthy (I'm still doing quarantine, so no worries!), and she says he's friendly. Anyone have any advice on issues he may have? He's just over a year old. I'm just trying to make sure that I'm thinking of everything. :) I want whats best for the ratties.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Wellll, I would say that it's very possible that he's not quite as friendly as she says. Sounds like he probably wasn't given much (any) attention if he was living in a garage and owned by people who have a drug problem.

Does this mean you shouldn't get him? No way. I think it's wonderful that you're going to give him a better life. :D

Since he's healthy and vet-checked, I would say the only thing to be concerned about is the socialization thing, so be sure to spend lots of time with him and develop a bond, and I'll bet he'll warm up to you pretty quickly. One thing that I've found that works with a rat I recently got (she was waaay undersocialized) is to sort of back off and give them a break if they seem distressed by your holding them. Just put him up, give him a rest, then try again in a bit. He's most likely not used to attention. :wink:

I assume he was living alone in this 10 gallon tank? If so, introducing him to your other rats may be a small issue as well.

Good luck!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He did have a cage mate for a while, but he died, thats why the original owners gave him away. The girl who has him now decided she doesn't want to keep him due to the fact that she has three girls and doesn't want an "oops" litter." I hope he is friendly, but if not I'll do my best to socialize him.

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
i went through a similar situation with stewart. he came to me at about a year and a half old with a history of living alone all that time in a cage too small with no toys and on hay. when i got him, i put him in a hagen chinchilla cage with a hut, some hammocks, a hanging flower pot, a rope toy, a wheel and Bribery (my neutered boy). he took to bribery almost imediately. followed the squirt around all over the cage then when bribery finally laid down stewart did too and started bruxxing up a storm. he was hesitant about being picked up but with a bit of cuddles and some free range on the couch under the blanket with me he came around fast. he's now a big cuddle-bug and LOVES his girls and dotes on babies. he's a big push over though too, even though he's the biggest he will let any of the other rats push him around. he'll squeak bloody murder about it but he'll still let tiny twix pull him out butt end first from a hamster ball. i may have lucked out here but i think he was really appreicative of the attention and the other rats. being alone all that time may be why he's such a huge push-over though.

in any case, you'll need to take your time with your new guy. showering him with attention worked for me. i carried stewie around on my shoulder and let him roam the couch for a great deal of the day when i first had him. he probably spent 4-5 hours a day out of the cage, just him and me or me, him and bribery (partly because bribery was the only boy and partly to show stewie by example that humans are ok and can be trusted. fruits and yogies are great bribes too. there's no faster way to a man's heart then through his stomach and that seems to apply to all species.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. ^_^ I'll be sure to give him lots of attention. lol maybe I'll make him a club house like I did for Lich :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts