Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am looking for a few cages to choose from, for my two boys, as my boyfriend is really fussy. I have had a look at the guide, but majority are from US and they do not sell them in the UK. Or I can't find them under the same names. Anyone got a similar guide and suggestions, but for the UK. So I can compare a few decent cages and give my boyfriend a choice?

·
Registered
544 Posts
I've answered to your other thread, might as well post some good cages here for you :p

http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/hutches_cages/rat_cage/132223
(It was £180 when I got it... The price has risen.)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Large-ferre...UTF8&qid=1416150223&sr=1-11&keywords=rat+cage
(This cage is smaller than the Savic Royal Suite. Looks to have flimsy shelves)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Liberta-UK-...UTF8&qid=1416150322&sr=1-22&keywords=rat+cage
(I was considering getting this cage. Basically the same size as the Savic)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/GULFSTREAM-...upplies_2?ie=UTF8&refRID=0M0DJMYPXFGZDCRB0WVN
(Only two doors open on this cage, not 4)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Liberta-Hap...upplies_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0M0DJMYPXFGZDCRB0WVN
(This one looks good, doesn't have large doors though)

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that and thanks for the replies I have previously seen in the other thread. I think the issue is I want the Savic. But it will dominate the living room and my partner wants something smaller that will fit on the shelf we have, but I think they are too small to house rats, especially males...

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know the reviews on others say they rust, the rats can chew through the platforms, the platforms move etc.... The others are just a little pathetic in comparison. Especially with the small doors and awkward access. But with the savic it means placing it in front of a radiator: which means turning the radiator off because of heat and rats and then we would have to take a picture frame down as well. So partner is not convinced. I don't mind. but he prefers the house to look simplistic and tidy. I prefer having a zoo and he can't comprehend a cage that big for only two rats....

·
Registered
544 Posts
Well...

Rats can never have too much space!
Also!
It leaves you with plenty of room to get MORE rats ;) (Keep that small cage as a temporary home for them, if you are planning to get more ratties at some point)

But honestly, its a brilliant cage.

I have this cage in my room. I had to part ways with my wardrobe to fit this cage into my room! My clothes are now all squashed into a chest of drawers, so now I perminantly look scruffy, but thats okay :p Anything for my ratties hahaha

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol. If I could let the rats roam the house I would! hahaha. I hear you can close off the floors anyway for introductions, so one sleeps down and the other up???? Ah well if one can get rid of a wardrobe, I can get rid of a book case or the heat from one radiator ;)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Lol. If I could let the rats roam the house I would! hahaha. I hear you can close off the floors anyway for introductions, so one sleeps down and the other up???? Ah well if one can get rid of a wardrobe, I can get rid of a book case or the heat from one radiator ;)
With this cage you can do that, but its risky. There is a ladder seperating the two floors and it can be put up, blocking the hole where the rats would go down to access the other level. I shut mine down in the bottom level when I clean the top half of the cage and they do push at the ladder trying to get to the top half... It does move and it does make a lot of noise. I wouldn't reccomend halving the cage like that. You'd have to physically block the hole up with something heavy and something that they couldn't chew through.

I have tried getting another bottom level, (so the hole is blocked up by the pan) but I havent found anywhere that sells them seperately! Its so annoying! I could have 3 adults at the top and 3 younger ones at the bottom, allowing me to get rid of this old rusting cage thats just using up valuable room space :(

And yes, a girl needs her wardrobe! Yet I parted with mine! So you can definitely get rid of a bookcase or give up a radiator ;)

·
Registered
544 Posts
I know. I emailed zooplus (who told me to contact savic as they don't sell spare parts) so I emailed savic and they told me to get in contact with where I got the cage! That was so helpful of them... >.< Savic will not sell spare parts directly to the customer as they are the manufactures or something like that. Stupid.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I'm thinking about emailing amazon.

Basically. I'm going to google the cage and find loads of places where it gets sold. Then i'll email each company and find out if they sell spare parts. :p
(thats the plan. I probably wont, because i'm so lazy and i cant be bothered to do much at all xD)

·
Registered
544 Posts
Thats so annoying!!! :(

I have all my rats in the same cage now, but it would have been nice to have had a spare bottom level just in case something was to happen. Now I will have to keep hold of my old cage. Give it a good clean and put it in the store room >.<

(The only thing I can think of, is looking at dimensions of the critter nation cage in the US and seeing how similar the sizes are? Maybe the bottom level will be the same size (or very similar) to the savic? Only thing is postage...)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.