Rat Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My name is Pam, and I am the recent owner of Lucky, a feeder rat from PetCo. My family has a menagerie of 1 dog, 2.5 cats, 1 Python (that's how I got Lucky) and Nimo, our blue and gold macaw, and Lucky Rat. Plus 1 mom, 1 dad, and a 16.5 year old daughter. Animals outnumber humans 2:1, lol.We have 1/2 a cat because of Emily, a formerly stray who lives under our daughter's bed. She's been to the vet and is healthy (and spayed). She will only come out at night time to watch my husband in his man cave. So while we all feed her, change the litter box, etc., she's rarely seen, and is thus, 1/2 a cat, lol. Lucky Rat is an albino female and quite the darling. She is loved!Cheers,P.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Well, snakes need to eat too. I am not opposed to snakes, but I have never owned one, but I have heard safer for both parties if you feed thawed frozen rodents. I am glad you couldn't do it though, Lucky is indeed very lucky. You should get her a friend. The need company of another. Rats can actually become very depressed to live alone.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Anyway, I am glad you didn't feed the snake, rats make. Wonderful pets, I have six currently. Welcome to the forum. There is a ton of really great information and a lot of nice people too. Have you made it to the forum tab and read through the sticky sections?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I suspect that a lot of unexpected pet rat owners come from feeders, lol. Yeah, Lucky is a special girl.... I truly do not want another rat - maybe re-homing her would be best? I've considered this, as it may be best for her. I am disabled and we do spend quite a bit of time together - she loves being on my neck.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm working my way through the Stickys in each section, lol. One major question that I have is when do I switch over to adult food? I don't know the age cycle of rats..... I've had Lucky Rat for 2 months now, and she was considered a medium sized feeder rat. Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I ADORE Ginger, our Ball Python......she's about 26 months. BPs our really nice snakes to own as a pet. She was on frozen/thawed until she went on a five month hunger strike, so I switched to live feeding. There was something about Lucky Rat that just affected me, so she's now our dear Lucky girl.
Well, snakes need to eat too. I am not opposed to snakes, but I have never owned one, but I have heard safer for both parties if you feed thawed frozen rodents. I am glad you couldn't do it though, Lucky is indeed very lucky. You should get her a friend. The need company of another. Rats can actually become very depressed to live alone.

·
Registered
672 Posts
Well oxbow is the best food out there. I personally fed the adult oxbow formula to my babies when they were younger, but added. Extra protein to their diet. Such as giving them hard boiled egg with dinner. Although I think for one rat a whole egg might be a bit to much. So maybe you could scramble an egg and give her half or something like that. My rats did not like the young rat formula and would not eat it. I am not an expert, but I think they should have more protein for at least the first 4-5 months of their lives. And I understand about the rehoming issue. Rats can be a ton of work and some can get sick often. This group of mine I have now have been really healthy. But I have had some that end up at vets often. They are very smart little creatures and require quite a bit a care to be healthy and happy. But they can also give love back. I am as close to my rats as I am my dogs. What part of the country do you live?

·
Registered
672 Posts
Btw I didn't mean to scare u off by asking where u live. I was just curious because u said u might want to find her a home , I was just seeing if u were close to me. Not a stalker

·
Registered
71 Posts
Wow! I think what we don't have you do. We have 4 cats (inherited 2 of them recently), a Saint, my Dad (also inherited, excuse the poor humor), two turtles, 15 chickens (guess...inherited) two turkies (yup, you know how) and some fish (kids lol). I have been wanting a bird but I don't think it would be a good fit for our house, that and I'm afraid of what it might learn to say!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts