Rat Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been saving like crazy for a DCN. On facebook, a woman from a rat group contacted me and said she will sell me one for 175. Awesome! Not so awesome- condition is I take two of her rats with it. One has two mammary tumors and is two years old. Surgery will be 475 minimum if it can be done at all at her age. The other rat is supposed to be a double rex but looks like a hairless to me. I have nothing against hairless rats but have heard health problems come with. I'm officially insane.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
In my experience, hairless rats are no more prone to illness than their furry counterparts. You may have to wipe their eyes daily (more needed for some than others), but really it's no different than taking care of a standard rat. I think a lot of people get hairless laboratory animals (which are immune deficient) and hairless pet rats confused as far as the health issues. All depends on the genetics, as is the case with any animal. I think it's great that you're willing to take in the two that are in need of a good home and I wish you the best of luck.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I would haggle her down because of the cost of treating her rats is more than the cost of a new cage.. I'm very skeptical when people sell rats because I would personaly give them away for free if I were doing it to get them a better life.

·
Registered
69 Posts
^I agree. The DCN is only $168 right now on 1800petsupplies.com. Even with paying for tax and the overweight surcharge (base shipping is free) you'd still come up better not having to pay medical costs of brand new rats.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I know, but there's no other place for these rats to go. I told her she should take less for the cage but she only says that's a great deal. Yeah but med bills are going to cost me twice as much. Still, everything in me says they're not going to end well if I don't take them, especially the one with the tumors. I don't know what I can do for her, but it's more than what her old owner is doing

·
Registered
996 Posts
When I rehomed three of my rats, they came with a DCN completely free... and those didn't actually have any health issues. Isn't it better just to know they are going to a good home than to make money off of them? Not that she'd be making a profit, but still... I get every pet knowing I'm not going to make back a cent of what I spend on them, whether I rehome them or not. Shoot, I even rescued two male rats (on separate occasions), had them neutered for $100 each, and then rehomed them for free. I even gave a free travel cage along with one of them and bags of food with both.

Maybe I'm just weird and don't feel right asking for money. My family has always had the mentality of "no one would want to pay for our junk, so give it away" and I guess that crossed over when I started taking in and adopting out rodents. XD We don't ever do garage sales anymore, we just dump stuff we don't want at a local charity. Not to say I've ever "dumped" a rat... Every rat I rehomed went to an amazing home.

I'm not saying you shouldn't pay what she's asking, but I'm not saying you should either. Have you pointed out to her how much you are going to have to spend on vet bills? Not to mention, they're old anyways so even without the preexisting condition, they're not living super long. I'd at least get her to match what the price is on the website Rattienewbie mentioned. If you're set on saving them, though, don't let anything stop you. :)

·
Registered
383 Posts
I know, but there's no other place for these rats to go. I told her she should take less for the cage but she only says that's a great deal. Yeah but med bills are going to cost me twice as much. Still, everything in me says they're not going to end well if I don't take them, especially the one with the tumors. I don't know what I can do for her, but it's more than what her old owner is doing
It's a matter of being able to walk away. It is not easy. I just had my walkaway earlier this month. There was a poor solo adult female at PetCo. She was not handled well, and her cagemate is missing (she had tumors, and I suspect she may have been put down). We were tempted to adopt this rat, but she's a lot of trouble. She is not socialized at all, and she even nips at anyone who tries to touch her.

My wife and I agonized over this, because if she's not adopted, she'll just end up being snake food. But you know, you have to think about yourself and your current rats. If we took this problem child on, we'd have to devote a lot of time to her. This may neglect some of our house duties, and it would definitely take away from loving on our rats. We just don't have the time to care for three rats and carefully care for a fourth. If her cagemate was still around, then we'd have to say no sooner because then that's two problem rats AND medical bills.

So it can be heart-wrenching, but you have to consider that you might have to say no. Your own stress is a commodity, and sometimes you just can't justify pushing it.

Basically, you can't save them all, but you did save your current mischief, and they're all the better for it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts