Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, We have three fantastic rats in the living room. However, over this festive season where we have lots of visitors. The rats are really bugging my partner with their mess. We are currently using carefresh substrate, but it goes everywhere! It spreads across the entire loving room and we are having to hoover/ sweep at least once a day (two most of the time). Wr have tried different papers (that are safe) and they either chew them or pull them into the houses. The sane goes for fleece liners. Anyone got any suggestions. My partner would greatly appreciate it as it is driving him insane as he doesn't like mess :p.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
If you've got the savic royal suite then I've got mine fairly good now. The first off is to use larger heavier substrate, probably the best is card squares like eco pet bed you can get from rat rations, or I get some locally from a farm shop for a lot cheaper.

Next is to set it up without the middle base, this tends to encourage them to kick stuff out, plus without it you have a lovely tall open cage you can create much more active set ups in. Replacing the shallow shelves that come with it with cat litter trays hung from the side works well with a bit of litter in to reduce smell too.

My final tip is to get our make a deeper tray for the base. You can do this with perspex (long lasting nicer to look at but harder to cut and more expensive) or corrugated plastic (easy to make cheap to buy but easily chewed). Cutting these to size and tapin together with duck tape works well. Alternatively if you want a smart easy option you can get companies who will cut your perspex to size for you then it's much easier to assemble and less likley to crack, they use thicker stuff too.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah its the Savic Royal Suite 2 tier. And yeah I have been finding that even though biocatolet still gets out it is not going as far around the house as the care fresh so that makes sense. Thanks for the advice I will have a look into the different things you have suggested. Have you tried the repti carpet/ one piece substrates that other people have mentioned on here such as the Ikea mats and if so, worth trying?

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I've used vet bed in the top level before i took it out but the rats vastly prefer substrate they can dig in and generally is a lot better for smells. I'm not a fan of cage liners for those reasons. i an back to having a rat room now though so it's less of an issue. i was in a rented place for a year so that wad harder. You can also get an off cut of lino and put it under the cage if it's sat on carpet as that protects the carpet and makes it easier to sweep up

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again. I think that's the issue. Its rented. So anything they damage is bad and we are limited to where we can put the cage. It is currently on wooden laminate, so rather than damage it just spreads around the house. Yeah my rats love the levels so I am not keen on taking them out as all three aren't really the climbing type. They hardly ever use their ropes or climb they tend to stay on the platforms and play with the toys on the ground. I think for now we are going to have to stick to bio catolet as it doesn't make as much mess as care fresh...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts