Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it occurred to me on my way home that I need a separate cage for my rats than the main critter nation one I plan on getting. I have to travel sometimes for my job (have a week in September I need to go to Dallas) and if there's a hurricane I have to evacuate. Also I figure it'd be good to have a place to put the little guys when I clean their main cage. Also I need a cage to put them in on the hour long drive home from the rescue!

Can anyone recommend a cage that's small enough to fit in the car for travel but large enough to keep two male rats for a short period of time?

·
Registered
80 Posts
I bought this cage : http://www.petsmart.com/small-pet/c..._id=36-14480&_t=pfm=category&pfmvalue=faceted

It's perfect for transporting long distances because it's small enough to fit in a car but big enough for 2-3 rats to have room to get away from each other and stretch. I would never house rats in here long term but it sounds great for what you need.

I use mine for a backup temporary housing cage or sick bay.

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
I have a cat carrier for evacuation (we live in a flood zone) purposes.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Look into Martin's Cages! They're very light weight and come in a variety of sizes.

And seconding the cat carrier, thats my evac "cage". But if you need something livable as wells as portable, deff check out Martins.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys! What do you think about this cage? It's 17-inch width by 12-3/4-inch depth by 24-inch height. The reviews say it can fit in a car pretty easily and looks to have enough room for the two boys to be comfortable for a short while. Figure it would be good to take the boys home, use as a quarantine cage, a place to put them when I clean the critter nation, and if I have to leave town for a week I can take them with me and leave them in the hotel room in it.

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B003SZSZM4/

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Multi-level cages are bad ideas for travel. The ledges are falling hazards in moving vehicles that can rip toenails out and break bones.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I actually have that exact cage BigEasy!! But we do not have them in it during car rides, only when we get to our destination. In the car we simply have them hang out in a small cat carrier. I can highly recommend that cage! Perfect size for my car. We're actually getting ready to plan out how to combine 2 of them once we get a 4th rat to make traveling easier and not have to separate the girls.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys :) I'll just use a cat carrier to take them home but will definitely get this one and set it up as a side cage when needed.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Good luck! Just remember to offer water thru the cat carrier holes every 45 minutes-hour. I just poke their normal water bottle thru and try to get them to come and take a few drinks.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well the litter box is a lot larger than I imagined it would be as is the wheel! So I'll be getting a smaller litter box and a smaller wheel and will just use these 2 in the DCN I'll be getting when the house is finished.

Attachments

·
Registered
69 Posts
For a smaller litter box I just use a shallow plastic food storage container I got at the dollar store! Nothing fancy. And I would honestly just not put a wheel in this particular cage. A 12" won't fit, and anything smaller isn't really made for rats

1 - 11 of 11 Posts