Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bring all the rats in for a check up every other month. It was time for Topaz's check up and the day i'm taking her in, her nose & eyes were bleeding. Yea you all know what I was thinking Pha. so The vet checked her out and gave me some Baytril. It's her 3 day on her meds and she's looking a lot better. I've been giving her bits of Avo. and she had some Dark chocolate yesterday and is starting to plump up again. She's staying at a friends house (she use to own rats) and I visit her everyday to check on her. Just wanted to get some good vibs for her she doesn't take any steps backwards.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
get better soon topaz! :D *ratty kisses from picasso* <--aka stomping gracelessly over my keyboard and sticking her fat dumbo head in the middle of the screen <33

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Nice to see you back!

And many good vibes being sent your (and Topaz's) way. :)

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Porphyrin is produced by a gland behind the eye that helps keep their eyes moist. It also drains from the eye down into the nose through a small tear duct. Small amounts are normal but can overflow is the rat is stressed or possible sick. Surely with all the rats you own Night you know this? Anyways I don't want to travel off topic and get this post closed. This is about Topaz getting better, not if I know what Porphyrin is.

Thanx everyone for her good wishes!!! She says hello :), I'll see if I can get a Pic of her for everyone when she's doing better. She's putting on weight but doesn't seem to be drinking so I've lowered her water bottle for her and will be visiting the vet again just to check she isn't tricking me lol.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Yes, I do know what porphyrin is - I was asking if you did, since Topaz wasn't "bleeding," she was excreting excess amounts of porphyrin.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It can be referred to as "bleeding" because they can sometimes appear to be "bleeding" because of the excess discharge. The vet visit went well, got her some more Baytril and more Avo :), Vet said she's doing good and that I could syringe her some water each evening just to be sure she is in fact drinking :).

·
Registered
995 Posts
Oohh Night lay off and give Topaz some good luck or you'll jinx everything!

Good luck!! :)

·
Registered
995 Posts
How's Topaz doing?

·
Registered
995 Posts
Hello......

Naz? How's Topaz?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts