Rat Forum banner

Goodbye old man Gus...

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  morsel 
#1 ·
As some of you may remember, my old man Gus who defied all laws of rat aging being 4 1/2 years old passed away yesterday suddenly. I'm completely devastated even though he had an abnormally long life. He was the best rat, he was always the alpha male of the cage even until the end with the loss of use of his hind legs. He was strong and tough as nails, still would claw his way up and down all the levels of the cage using only his front legs. I spent every night with him on the couch for a couple hours after my girlfriend and her dogs went to bed just hanging out and cuddling, he love to sit with me. He was sweet and loving as could be. He went quickly during the day which I'm happy about instead of a long drawn out hospice situation which I had to do with his brother Templeton and was not easy towards the end emotionally... so I'm happy about that, but I will miss him dearly. He had a long good life after we rescued him from lab testing, RIP my sweet boy Augustus :(

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Thanks to both of you... shibezone, it was a bit of a shock cause he really had turned a corner, wasn't have as many seizures and his UTI was completely cured and he had all this new energy, so thought he was going to last a little bit longer. I'm sad but also feel very lucky to have had him and his brother around for such an amazing long time, they were a special pair for sure, I mean Templeton was 4 and Gus made it to 4 1/2, pretty amazing all things considered... but I'll miss my late night snuggles on the couch with both of them...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.